Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for decent quality, but not break the bank like the dealerships..

specifically i need to have my timing belt/accessory belts changed ASAP (its 24k miles overdue!!!)

any decent shops you guys can hook me up with? also - approx how much would that cost, and i was told to do the water pump at the same time.. so how much would it cost with and without the waterpump (approx, as im sure someone has had this done within the past couple of years right?)

thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
My timing belt and serpentine belt cost like $400 at a NJ dealer. If you need body work, Benjamin Towing in Queens really did a nice job on my car. Had rear bumper repaired, all dings and dents and repaint same color all over (except roof and pillars) for only $1000 even with the luminescence in the clear coat. They said they'd do the roof for like another 2 or 300 so I'll get that done this fall.
email me at [email protected] if you need more info on them. btw, dealers will ask if you want to change the timing belt tensioner (maybe good idea but I risked without it), water pump will be "seeping" a little bit of fluid as well as oil and crank seals in the engine, etc. I told them I pass on all and I'm still okay so far. I waited until 100k to change my first timing belt (ouch) but I asked to keep the old one and it actually didn't look bad! I'm currently at 128k and running well, knock on wood.
sorry bout long post.
hr

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey man thanks for all the info!

I'm in the market for a repaint soon... so in essence, a whole repaint would have been about 1300 or so?

hows the paint job ? as im going to be changing colors, it might cost me a bit more... but i also plan on doing all the prep work, and just delivering them a vehicle with no moldings, no headlights, taillights or side markers, no license plates, and most importantly no paint heh. (my cousin has experience chemical stripping a car with this stuff (i forget the name but its used mostly for marine applications) thats environmentally friendly - it nuetralizes if you pour water on it, otherwise it will peel a coat at a time (will be a slower process, but the results should be ok.))

basically i will take it as far down as i can and then bondo in whatever bigger dings i find, sand, then apply a rough coat of primer to it.. delivering a sanded, primered vehicle. (oh yeah i will have my body kit on too - hence the reason im going for a repaint)

now im the one making long posts, heh sorry.

anyways, any info on them would be appreciated - and i just got my timing belt done today for 400... talked him down from 450 since i do a lot of buisiness with him... he didnt even argue - i just said hey man i was searching around for prices and most of them were in the 400$ range.... so how about it ? he said.. ok 400.

eh, im satisfied.

any other positive experiences, feel free to share them.. its hard to find good shops in the nyc area!

also keep your eyes peeled for a meet soon.. im seeing how many probes/mx6ers i can find around here who actually have an interest in one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts