Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put the battery in the trunk so I can build a better cold air intake with fewer bends using my new Ractive Air filter.

What does that entail? Use stock batter? Buy a Battery Box? Wires? What guage wire do I use? Where do I run the wires? Underneath the car? Along the exhaust? How do I attach them?

G

·
You are going to need to move all of the accesory wires to another source of power, or set up a smaller enclosed box to distruibte power. I would buy a battery box, and I would suggest an optima red top battery, because they are jel cels and won't cause as much of a problem with corrosion, and they are sealed pretty good. I would run the wire through the firewall and underneath the carpet, but be sure not to run it next to any moving parts.(i.e. seat brackets) if you take the front seats, the bottom section of the rear seat and carpet out, it will be pretty straight foreward. You will probally be able to find a wiring harness for the rear speakers, DO NOT run the wire next to this harness, you might get interference if the wires are not shielded very well, but look how they are run, and run them the same way on the other side of the cab. DO NOT run them under neath the car, although zip tieing the wire to the exaust is a good method, it is not the safest. Running it underneath the car can cause the wire to become weathered, not to mention if you bottom out in the wrong spot you can sever the wire. It might be a little overkill but I would use 2 gauge wire and a post connecter that can be found at most auto parts store. Also I would use a big fuse at the battery to prevent any fires in case of a mishap. You can find those at almost any car stero shop. I would probally get a little ground happy too, but it is probally not necessary. I hope this helps. Let me know how the project goes. Good Luck. If you have any other questions my e-mail is [email protected]

·
Registered
405 Posts
i would not recomend running the wire along the exhaust. that area gets really hot, could melt some wires. i would advise running along the frame rails. or possibly inside the frame itself. i dont know how hard it would be to do that though. i have been considering relocating the battery as well. so keep us posted on how it turns out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts