Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my car is going into paint for the spring so i have to get it all ready and i want to remove the stupid useless rain gutters because they are just rust traps aswell as the badges, for thoes that have done the rain gutters how hard was it and what did you use to do it . ie bondo to fill them in or if there is something else better out there that will work. If anyone knows that would be great

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
not many have done it but that much bondo is nearly guarenteed to crack... i think fiberglass is going to be a pain in the ass but is probably the way to go

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Fiberglass should never be used on metal. Bondo is a smoothing agent, not a hole and gap filler. Have someone weld in strips of metal to seal them off.

Reactions: John_Shea

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It's not as easy as filling in the gutter. To get it rounded to match the the top and not look like ass, alot of bond is required. Lots of bondo means more potential for cracking like Pnut said. But it does look damn fine when done correctly.

Reactions: John_Shea

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
everyone who has posted thus far is correct, just combine what all of them said. weld in strips to give the general shape, then you will still be doing a lot of bondo/primer/bondo/primer! but god it would look incredible, any pics of it done?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys, ya does anyone have pic's i would love to see it, it was just an idea i had cause the other day it rained and i was looking at them and thinking how useless they were and since i was going to repaint i thought it would be cool to smooth it all out

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
it seems like it would be really hard to weld in strips of metal on that thin roof without warping the metal. the end product would be wavy as heck.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
very small sport welds, spaced apart around the hood, with time in between, it's just like welding on a roof skin. If you know what i'm talking about, you go slow and stagger your welds all over the roof. Takes time but as we said, would look sick in the end, i want pics!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I saw pictures of this about 1.5 to 2 years back I think and damn it looked good

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Hughes has done it to his car. He used fiberglass jelly. Anything else will crack.

Welding a strip does seem like it would help, but i think spot welds would just break off. There is alot of stress on that part of the car, especially when cornering.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just looked at his pic's and ya your right, i should ask him... i found a pic of what it looks like and it looks pretty sweet

·
Registered
965 Posts
I was flammed a few years ago because I wanted to do this because, "they're there for a reason." I think it looks good, which is the reason I wanted to do it. Anyway, I don't know about you all, but in the morning, the dew drips right down into my car so it's not like the gutters work that well anyway.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IceMan MX-6 said:
I was like flammed a few years ago because I wanted to do this because, "they're there for a reason." I think it looks good, which is the reason I wanted to do it. Anyway, I don't know about you all, but in the morning, the dew drips right down into my car so it's not like the gutters work that well anyway.
I know, i get the same thing, or in the summer after its rains and clears up you put down the window an inch or 2 and you got a fucking flood rushing in your window, and i find that the water flows towards the windsheld and might be the cause of the window rust everyone seems to get aswell so iam just looking for the clean look with the problems it causes sometimes gone, with new paint on the way i don't want it all fucked up again

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
use a product called duraglass, it is like a tiger hair fiberglass mixed with bondo( but make sure to first fiberglass as much as you can, with is a pain becouse it is a rounded shape) Don't weld it, honestly the risk of warping it isn't worth it, if you do you will NEVER get it right without putting a new roof on it. Then just bondo it, and to those who haven't looked at our drip rails, they are uneven, so you have to smooth them out into the center of the roof. Here is a picture of mine, not painted yet, but here you go.

o yea, and just to see what some people think, a hint of the rearend of my car when it is finished......

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
AWESOME ^^^ :tup:

I've always loved the way the rear looks with that line molded in. Keep us updated (or just me :/)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts