Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Remove broken Power antenna

6K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
Anyone have the procedures on how to replace a broken power antenna? I tried doing it from the top but it doesn't seem to come out that way like I thought.

#2 ·
You don't wanna know.

It's a total bitch:

1. Remove the trim that's next to your left foot while you are driving.
2. Remove the under-dash trim (under and around the steering column) and the hood release knob.
3. Remove the CPU (!)
4. Disconnect the wiring harness from th box that the CPU went in, then remove the nut that holds the CPU box, and remove the box too.
5. Disconnect antenna connection from under the steering column (near the vent duct that's under there.)
6. Disconnect the power antenna connector.
7. Remove the antenna motor with the mast still sticking in it.
8. There's joint where the mast goes into the motor....You have to slide that up to release the mast from the motor.
9. Connect a 12v source and a ground to the other connector hanging off the motor (the "service connector") to make the motor go. Pull the mast out of the motor while it is running.
10. Remove the antenna mounting plate from the top of your roof, and pull the whole thing out.
11. When you stick the new antenna in the hole, pull off the protective plastic tube dealy, and then pull the anntena lead (white geared part) inside.
12. Feed the plastic geared cable into the motor with the gear facing upwards.
13. Apply a power source to that connector again to suck the antenna into the motor.
14. Push the base of the mast into the motor housing until it it locks in (you should hear it click).
15. Turn your radio off and on a bunch of times and the slack will be self-adjusted.
16. Put everything else back together and drink beer.

#5 ·
I used a lawnmower/motorcycle battery, worked fine and is easier to carry.
Beware of this job! I did this last night and it took me 6 hours. It's about 3 times as hard as my list I made above makes it sound. I took some pics of all the wires that are gonna be hanging down while you do this, but I can't upload them yet 'cause my camera software is wacked. Anyways you are going to have to remove a TON of connectors when you take the CPU out (maybe you've done this before though).
And make sure that no pieces of your old antenna gear borke off and are still in the motor. If the end of your old antenna gear is blunt like a piece broke off, and you don't see the piece anywhere, first run the motor backwards to see if it gets pushed out of the motor. If that doesn't work, TAKE THE MOTOR APART and MAKE SURE there are no rougue bits inside!!! I did not do this, and it turned out that there was a piece inside of mine, and I have to do the entire job ALL OVER AGAIN! It totally sucks, but hopefully the second time will go faster.
Taking the CPU out is hard to figure out if you've never done it. There is a little tab at the top of it, in the center. You have to pry up on this tab, and pull out on the CPU box at the same time to get it out. Very difficult. I am lucky I have small hands and can do this stuff. There are many things I've done where I thought it would be impossible to do if I had bigger hands.

#6 ·
Once again thanks for the reply. I took out the main fuse pannel (CPU) and was able to release the antenna and get that pulled out. (About an hour job since I have EVERYTHING already pulled out of the car for cleaning) I never fully pulled out the computer but slided the antenna moter out between the pannel and the side of the car after getting off the bolts. I noticed when I did this that the bottom screw to the pannel was missiing... hmmm someone has been here before. When I took out the antenna the white geared portion of the whip was missing. I then pulled off the side cover of the motor where the whip winds up and it was not there. I ran the motor and it seemes to work fine. I then put the motor back and that is where she sits today. I am in process of trying to find a new antenna from the junkyard or new.

It seems like someone else tried to take it apart and cut the bottom end of the antenna off, but then didn't know to disconnect the cord from the radio and then pull out the whole unit. Anyways... thanks again for all the help.

#7 ·
When I bought my car, the antenna was bent and stuck. I ordered the antenna from the dealer and then had them install it. They quoted me about two hours for the job. It took them about six hours. Good thing is they only charged for two hours. 8D I don't ever listen to the radio so I told them to yank the motor. Now it is manual. I keep it down at all times, but if I want to listen to the radio while I'm driving (that's happened maybe twice) all I have to do is reach out the window with my left hand and pull it up. Best thing I ever did.

#9 ·
I like that picture! It seems that we didn't want to purchase the new antenna for 47$ so we picked up a manual at the junkyard. It is now in. I only had to pull the front plugs from the pannel and worked my way behind it. A bit of scraped hands but all is well now.

G
#11 ·
OPINIONS PLEASE

okay i have an antennae prob. a friend and i have looked and listened a couple times trying to find out where that motor is at. i guess i know now!!! but i want all of your opinions. if i can get a replacent power antennae should i go with that, or should i just get a manual. i mean if the price is right would you all stick with the power? i plan on having a sterio place put it on for me so i am not attempting that job. i know what those wires look like!!! lol well everyone leave their opinions for me. thanks!

#12 ·
It's up to you. I personally wouldn't trust just any stereo place to put the antenna in because unless they are familiar with our cars I can't see how they'd ever get the computer out. It's tricky and there's no way to stare at it and figure it out really - at least I wouldn't have been able to without the book.

Did the DX come with a manual?

#13 ·
I agree, I would not let the stereo shop do this. On the other hand, if your original motor is still good and all you need is the mast you don't "have" to take the motor out and can reach behind the computer to release the old one. In doing this I didn't have to remove the plugs from the back of the unit.

Looking back, this is a two person job, but not too bad. We did end up putting in just the manual antenna, since we got it for free at the junkyard.

#14 ·
I am gonna ressurect this old thread..

The damn muffler shop managed to break my antenna off somehow. It was power, but was stuck in the up position because the white plastic feed was broken when I got the car. I was quoted $25 for a new mast from Mazda, but I am still wary of trying to attempt the feat of feeding in the new mast.

My question: If I go to the junkyard and get a manual one, will unscrewing the base of the old one and installing the manual one still make a connection, so that the radio gets reception. What I don't know, is where the radio's antenna wire meets with the actual antenna. I have been without the radio since June, and I am starting to go mad.

#16 ·
Rendell,
If you take off the lower dash panel that has the fog and cruise switches, you should see where the antennae cable is held sorta underneath the column or around there. That's where it connects to the cable coming from the mast.

#21 ·
I'mn still waiting for my engine to come in so I've never driven this 6 yet. How can I know if my atenna used to be automatic? It was broke when I got the car and just hangin' there on the roof. I finished the job and broke it off, with it came a kind of cable thing it looked like a track but I didnt think about it at the time. Was that the power trac to push the atenna up and down?

#24 ·
I am another one who went with the manual antenna instead of fixing the power one. If you can get the old antenna out then it should be fairly easy to get a new one from the junkyard. The antenna's coax antenna cable connects to the radio at a connector right under the steering column. It is tucked up under the lip a little but just follow the wire and you will find it.

Be careful in putting the new antenna in. While I was threading my through the pillar the male connector of the coax cable go caught up on something. It wouldn't come in or out. After an hour of dinking with the thing I finally just yanked. Out comes the cable without the connector. So off to the thepartsbin.com again. By the way if you order one from there the mast (long plastic tube) it too long and the connector doesn't fit into the motor fitting.

Mine works fine as manual. In fact I leave it out only about an inch or so and that is good enough to get great reception up here in Seattle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.