Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a thought. My sisters exboyfriend has a 280ZX and he took off his air conditoner belt to gain some more horse power. It worked casue I felt the differance after he did it. My question is this, is anything run by the same belt? If not, it I remove it will everything other than the air conditoner work? Besides if it gets to hot out here in Cali I can just slap it back on. I like roll down the windows anyway. So let me know what you guys think.

BTW I have an LX if that helps at all

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
That belt also runs the power steering.

A better alternative would be to get an underdrive pulley from Unorthodox Racing. It will allow you to gain HP by the same principle, slowing your accesories down.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don’t want to go out and look at my car tonight (I’m in my boxers an a t-shirt its 20 degrees out and DARK) but I would try to see if you could put on a different sized belt so it didn't go around you AC. that might work. I bet you could even go get a power steering pump belt for a 6 that doesn’t have Ac

·
Registered
167 Posts
antiSUV said:
A better alternative would be to get an underdrive pulley from Unorthodox Racing. It will allow you to gain HP by the same principle, slowing your accesories down.
I've thought about getting one of those underdrive pulleys, they say that the main HP gain is from taking weight off the crank, rather than underdriving the accessories, as the pulley is alot lighter but slighty bigger or smaller?? (I think).

What I want to know is, does it adversely affect your power steering and AC at all?
I'd hate to have the power steering fail when I'm driving because it isn't getting enough power. Does anyone have one of these on their car?
What are they actually like?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I remove the belt completly then I can still steer right I just wont have power steering? Accually the only reason I like power steering is to paralell park other than that it's not that much diifernt than no power steering I used to have a car without it and it wasn't so bad.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
You can damage the rack by trying to steer with a non-functioning power steering pump. Also, if the A/C is off, there'll be very little drag. Same goes for the power steering, if you're going straight, no drag.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have tried finding a belt for JUST the power steering and they dont' have it. They all say something about an idler pulley. Couldn't find one of those either. Now, maybe a belt off another car would work, just find one the right size. My a/c doesn't work, the compressor needs replacing, as does the receiver/drier, accumulator <I think that's what it's called?> and condenser. Gonna cost like a grand, so, I figure screw it, I just take all the A/c stuff out and save weight, but, I don't wanna lose power steering. I may do some experimenting to see if I can find the right size belt, when and if I do, you all will be the first to know. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
You should be able to go get a belt for just the power steering pump because I doubt that Ac was standard on all 6s. The belt will go around everything it does now except for the ac condenser (yes it has to go around the idle pulley. If your ac condenser is working I wouldn’t leave the belt off of it for to long because if you did the magnetic clutch in it might seize up on you. What I going to do is when I autocross I will take off the ac /power steering pump belt and but on a belt that will run just the power steering pump.

G

·
Just taking off the A/C belt will not give you any horsepower. There is no drag on the pulley as long as the A/C and the defrost is off. The only time you lose power to the A/C is when it's on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There are a few things you could do:

1. I know there is a non ac belt available

2. Take a wrench and pull the idler spring so that it is about 1/4 tension, find a way to hold it there (vise grips) take a rope and wrap it around the pulleys, pull it tight and measure the rope. Then take it to a good mechanic and ask him to measure the rope and get you a belt for it.

Number two will work if done correctly.

Number one is much easier though.

One suggestion - Try the belt from a 1.6 Toyota engine. Who knows, it may work

1 - 10 of 10 Posts