Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I've noticed on my headlights that there are three metal clips that look like they hold the covers on to the headlights themselves. I'm wondering if anyone knows if the covers can be removed? I want to take them off and sand the insides to get rid of all those lines that the mold makes. I want to have perfectly clear headlights without any of those distorting lines that you see on many cars.

Thanks! and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Usually the lines are there for a reason - to refract light. If you remove those lines there's a good chance you'll diminish your beam pattern and basically just make things worse.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oohhhh, i didn't realize that :S

how come newer vehicles no longer have those lines on their headlights then?

·
Registered
686 Posts
It's possible, but it'll take tons of work. My drivers side headlight was messed up pretty bad, & I had the same Idea as you. I did a little spot & it does work, just requires too much time. I regret it now & I'm looking for a used drivers side lense. But to answer your question, there are 3 clips on top & 3 on bottom of your headlight assembly. Those are the easy part. Those headlights are sealed tight with glue/sealant. Lots of prying & pulling required.

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
UnDeR_FLiP said:
oohhhh, i didn't realize that :S

how come newer vehicles no longer have those lines on their headlights then?

I believe the bulbs themselves are set up to send the light in the right direction on the new cars with clear lenses. If you want to remove the cover though, you can sand the outside to make sure eveything is clear and get rid of anything that may be on it. Those 6 clips have to be removed, it's easier if you warm it up a bit in the oven first because of the adhesive that's used.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts