Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my hands on some 1500 grit sandpaper and wet/dry sanded my headlights. Now they're super smooth and clear...on the outside. The majority of the oxidation is on the inside of the lights. How can I remove the headlight casing so that I can clean it?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Believe it or not, put the entire housing in the over at about 250 degrees for like 3 minutes or until the glue that is holding the plastic cover is soft and maleable. Then quickly remove the lights from the oven and pry the plastic cover OFF with a metal putty knife or equivalent. After it's off you can do teh same thing you did to the front of the lights. To reasemble it, do the same thing. Pop them inside the oven to heat the glue and then reattatch it. I would also apply some extra silicone glue on the outside of the casing to prevent any moisture from seeping in.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey guys i just sanded my headlights down with 1500 sand paper and they look like shit. i even put them in the oven and took the lens off. I sanded everything down and then poshlied them. A little changed but not much. What i'm i doing wrong???

·
Registered
193 Posts
I believe you're supposed to put a coat or two or three of clearcoat after you sand them. That should fill in the sanding marks, etc, etc...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mazx6 said:
Hey guys i just sanded my headlights down with 1500 sand paper and they look like shit. i even put them in the oven and took the lens off. I sanded everything down and then poshlied them. A little changed but not much. What i'm i doing wrong???
you poor bastard...you must have stared at your headlights in horror before realizing that you had to clear coat your headlights:eek: ...its all about the clearcoat

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well..

well now that i've got the sandpaper, where can i ge the clearcoat? Any brand in particular?

·
Registered
71 Posts
well i polished my outside lense using a1500 then a 2000 grit to get a smoother finish i then took meguires plastic polish and buffed it out they came outbrand new and im going to try the inner lense this week:p

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had to clear coat the headlight s before i started sanding??? what? i'm ****ing lost. I need some j-specs that will slove my prob.

·
Registered
98 Posts
clear coat them after they have been sanded. The clearcoat fills in the scratches caused by the sandpaper.

Dont feel like you messed anything up....yet...

Put the lights in the oven to heat up the glue that holds the lens' to the housing. Take out the lights and pop off the metal clips (HOT HOT) then pry the housing and lens. Let them cool, then wet sand the inside. after they're dry, wipe them down and then spray them with the clear coat. You can find clear coat at auto parts stores or Wal-mart.

Do a few LIGHT coats. Dont get in a hurry...LIGHT coats.

You'll love the new lights.

LaterCheck out this site for step by step info

·
Registered
231 Posts
Wait, if your going to put the headlight in the oven take the metal clips off before you put them in. OK-- i sanded my headlights and have used car wax to try to get them clean. So your saying all i need to do is put clear coat on them and that will take away the dull look to them??:E

·
Registered
216 Posts
ok here it goes agian-----for the slow people;;;hehe

sand them down on the outside untill they look almost completly white,, then tape around the head lights so you dont paint the car,, then get some clear coat''I used krylon" then simply spray the lens and youll start to see the results right after the first spray!!!!! then add maybe 2 more coats just for it to last and that it... heres some pics of mine

before
http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/rsty...mx6/lst?&.dir=/My+Photo+Album&.src=ph&.view=t

·
Registered
216 Posts
is it me or did I reply to this post already and some one erased it.????

·
Registered
216 Posts
yea some people just need to see it for themselves

:cool: :cool: :eek: :eek: })

·
Registered
236 Posts
It works

I tried this method using 400 grit wet sandpaper, soap & water, and krylon clear acrylic.. When they are all sanded down they look awful but once the clear coat (light coats, 10-12 minutes in between coats) goes on they gleam!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts