Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm taking off my valve colver and intake manifold to have them powder coated and wanted to know if there was anything special i needed to know about removing the intake manifold. i recall something about a hidden bolt or something, could someone refresh my memory here? also, how many bolts are there to get the thing off? i'll post some pics when i get the stuff back.

·
Registered
100 Posts
ok, this is what you need to know. there IS a hidden bolt. it resides down below a hose that goes from the intake manny to a metal tube that runs along side the intake manny and ducks under right before the throttle body. the bolt is right underneath the tube right befor the tube goes under the manifold. this mother ****** held me up for a very long time, so I hope you don't have any trouble. other then this, there is about 7-10 vacume hoses and coolant hose to remove. bolts there 12 holding it to the the cylinder head, one for the fuel supply line, and two for the fuel pressure regualtor(not sure this has to come off, but I took it off any way.) and the "hidden bolt." besure to drain the cooland first. and you'll need new gaskets, and you are supposed to replace a coolant hose that runs right down the middle between the two banks of cylinders, it is about 6" long and has a small bend in it. its called the coolant by pass hose or something. I would also try to strip the manifold bare and totally clean it out if it looks black in there, it makes it run much better.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got it off

i just got that stupid sun of a bitch off. you're right that ****ing bolt was a freakin pain!! thanks for the help though it was a lot easier to find it. my problem now is getting all the hoses back on there where they go, because i pulled off a bunch from underneat taht i couldn't label and some of those small vacuum hoses are gonna be confusing. any advice for when it goes on?

·
Registered
100 Posts
well, most of my hoses were kind of molded into a certain position which made it really east to remember where they went. I guess you could try looking up some vacume diagrams. I think that the one that is the most difficult is for the VIRS or something like that because you have to have the manifold almost inplace to get it back on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts