Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to need to help out my shifter sometime soon, it most likely just needs new bushings. My other option is to get the Pacesetter short shifter. The car has 194k miles on it and its holding up well, but I'm debating whether it will be worth to go performance and get the short shifter. Any opnions would be cool.

Also, I've noticed a Pacesetter Short Shifter and a Pacesetter Short Shift Kit...does anyone know the difference between these two and can explain for me?

Thanks!

[Edited by rmtaylor on 03-31-2001 at 09:59 PM]

·
Registered
167 Posts
rmtaylor said:
Also, I've noticed a Pacesetter Short Shifter and a Pacesetter Short Shift Kit...does anyone know the difference between these two and can explain for me?
[Edited by rmtaylor on 03-31-2001 at 09:59 PM]
It sounds like it's the same thing to me, if you're refering to products on two different sites I'd say it was the same thing.
If it was two products on the same site, for the same model, then I have NFI.
As far as I know Pacesetter only make one short shift kit.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw them on corksport.com, both the shifter and the shifter kit. I just noticed the "kit" was Pacesetter and the other one was the corksport short shifter. Which brings my next question, which is better, Corksport or Pacesetter?

[Edited by rmtaylor on 03-31-2001 at 11:06 PM]

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
It is my understanding that the stock bushings are still used with all aftermarket STS's. If this is the case; after you do the upgrade you will still need the bushings. I suggest going and getting this done first. If you are doing it yourself; it may be the time to upgrade everything at once.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What I did was do the Po mans short shift I took a cut off wheel to the bushing sleeve on the shift lever in the car and removed the top section. Then I used a die to cut new threads on the lower section of the shift lever. I then used a leather look shift boot out of a Honda CRX and got rid of that ugly rubber Mazda shift boot thing and then taped the Mazda shift knob so it would fit onto the now shorter shit lever

I know this is not a true short throw because a short throw changes where the fulcrum is on the lever but its still nice and all it cost me was the CRX shift boot that I got at a bone yard.

I have some diagrams off what I did and some better instructions if any wants them E-mail me at [email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts