Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I am going to replace all 4 struts, all 4 springs, and the driver side strut mount. Is this a job that the "average" car guy can do? I am planning on renting a spring compressor and doing it myself, but is it too much for me to do?
I can change brakes, and other minor work, but I am by no means what you would concider a "Mechanic"

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
If you have the tools, definitely. I't would help to get a few friends to help you, and to make the job go quicker, but it is definitely do-able. I changed mine with the help of Lambera and another friend of mine. I had never really done any work other than basic things, and it was fairly easy. We didn't even use a spring compressor, although it can be dangerous if you don't.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Its as straight forward as can be. It will however take you some time seeing as your probably going to be doing with with a jackstand and in your driveway. Set a day aside to do the job, maybe two if its only you working on it and your a lazy I-get-tired-fast :cry: person.

What kind of shlt you buy?

-Tyler

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I'll hopefully be doing this as well soon. I'm looking at purchasing a 1989 626 GT off someone on the forums here, and the back AAS struts need replacing, so I'm gonna buy some used ones off someone and replace all 4. Let me know how it goes and any tips that'd help me :)

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Keep in mind there is more to the strut assemblies than just mounts, springs, and shock components. There are also some mounting rubber pieces inside that are probably rotted out at this age. This includes dust boots, bump stops, and spring seats (lower and upper), as well as the strut bearings, which are not rubber but are also probably worn out.

You'll find that a proper strut job will cost you $1000 to do it right, so plan ahead. Make sure you replace this rubber as you don't want to be doing the job again because you re-used the rotted out rubber spring seats and worn out bearings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts