Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check this out.

Replacement Power Antenna Mast at JC Whitney.

Part# 55UT5782B same manufacturer as OEM

$19.95!

Just do a search of the part #from the JCWhitney.com homepage

Real easy replacement job. The part has both the collapsable mast and the plastic tracking that makes it go up and down (What is what usually breaks)

Tim

·
Registered
621 Posts
Did you replace yours or are you just thinking it's an easy replacement? When mine broke I just unplugged it and gave up hope of getting a new one, :( I'd like to replace it if it's easy, let us know

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replacement procedure.

1. Turn on radio so the power antenna motor whirs to extend the shaft(regardless if shaft actually moves.)
2. Inside trunk pul aside carpetm etc. so you can see the motor.
3. Remove antenna from body and remove the antenna and plactic tracking, pay attentioin to witch way the teeth face. (should face front of car)
4.with new antenna fully extended feed the plastic track on new antenna(same way it came off) into the motor.
5. turn off radio, plastic track and antenna should retract into motor.
6. if it leave about two inches extended, remove antenna and trim track.

Presto!

Mazda carries the mast for $30-35. Partsexpress.com carries the whole Metra replacement unit for $48.
Tim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a great price at ww.mazdaperformance.com, I did not know that site existed. I would trust that site more the JCwhitney, Maybe I would not have had the trimming issues if i had ordered from there. Shipping is cheaper also.

Tim

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hmm, well I guess I'll be seeing how easy it is cause I just ordered one.... :D I can't just not order something I want

·
Registered
621 Posts
Ok I just got the mast and I'm a little confused. First off how do I put the new one on?? Like I see a gray rodnear the antenna and then... Like do you turn something or screw it out or just pop it... Second when I first started noticing the antenna didnt go up just made noise I unplugged it (the power wire plug in the trunk). Now I plugged it back in and nothing, no noise no movement...I'm thinking the motor might have went out now:( anything to look for? thanks

·
Registered
621 Posts
Anybody have any info that could help me out?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I apologise for the delay in responding

Check out this post in the maintenance forum

http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76929

It is on the second page of posts

Hell, I'll cut and paste it

antenna install Done!!! by Jay246

I Bought a 1995 MX-6 Ls...I just did the antenna everyone was telling me it was going to be a pain...It was the easiest thing ive ever done...

Tools needed:

12mm socket wrench
Philips head Screw Driver
5 min time
A friend to turn the radio off
-----------------------------------------
take the carpet pin out and there should be one bolt and 2 plugs going into the motor you can unplug the plug going into the side
the bottom one wont come out doesnt need to anyway...
take the 5 philips screws out n the motor will come apart there is a circular drum in the middle remove the broken antenna cord.Put the motor back together n re install it into the trunk.Now undo the silver(gold in my case)cap on the outside where the antenna is it just unscrews then slicde the old antenna out.put the new one in push the wire as far down as posible have a friend turn the radio "OFF" have it on then turn it off..it will take the antenna wire n and then put the rimg on n u r done....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts