Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, in need of a new turbo so just wondering what others have done or is it better to just reco the old one.

Not really willing to spend thousands on custom everything but would like to know options.

Cheers all.

·
Registered
160 Posts
From my experience i can suggest a few options.....

Im assuming your from Sydney?..

1.Phone Mazford Parts Plus and buy a second hand turbo in good condition (they give a 5 month warranty)

2. Recondition the old one, this might set you back as much as you can pick up a second hand one...

3. Hi-flow it....can cost up to $500-600, but how effective is high flowing really!

4. Precision turbo's in Wetheril Park, Sydney, have a larger impellar wheel for the Mx6 IHI turbo, fitted i think this costs about $1200

5. Buy a ball-bearing t28 from a R33 Skyline for about $500-600, and get an adaptor plate made up and 3inch dump pipe for about $500 thus, it will set you back about $1000 and the difference in performance would be HUGE..call Vince at V & E Rigoli

6. Same as above but a T3/T4 (which will create lag down below, but greater top end power, especially at higher boost levels)

·
Registered
541 Posts
I was going to post this yesterday, but ran out of time.. (also sorry for hijacking the threat - but it may be of help to you also!)

Are there any direct bolt on upgrades?? I've heard the rx7 (ser 2 to 4) turbos will bolt straight up to the stock flange...

Has anyone ACTUALLY done this (with any turbo) that mounted directly to the stock flange (or with very minimal modifaction)

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Rolli - Yea, there is a guy over on the FI forums saying that the Series II RX7 turbos bolt up no worries... haven't seen any pics of it done, just the turbos next to each... they do look exactly the same.

g1BiGBoY6 - If you don't have much money I suggest getting your stock turbo hi-flowed. This will increase your turbo's flow a fair bit, and best of all, insurance companys cannot tell the difference and requires no other mods to it.
A place in sydney quoted $750... which isn't too bad as I would think that you wouldn't need to reco it and hi-flow it, as it is all one thing.
If you start looking at aftermarket turbos then you need to think of other things that may need to be replaced with it...
- Adapter plate
- Intercooler pipes (different intake size etc)
- Dump pipe
- Management.
- Etc...

Its up to you though, but expect your insurance to go up too... especially if it is your only 'real' mod.

Tripharn

·
Registered
148 Posts
Does this mean that adapter plate (along with dump pipe) can be made for any turbo and it will fit without mods to the actual exhaust manifold?

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Within reason, and you won't get maximum flow for the bigger turbo's since the size of our manifolds are the biggest things in the world... especially if you start porting the head and the manifold would become the bottle neck in the system.

Tripharn

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Yeah the Old 12A turbo is a IHI on series 2 &3 J=-spec RX-7 but these are so old and hard to find.

Add to that it's desgin is so far backward.

Jules gave you all the best options.

The best is a latter model turbo.
Getting either of the T28's off a 200SX S14A to S15 or R33 Skyline turbo will do you fine. Just remember the Skyline one does not like to be spun hard. 14psi is close to it's limit.

The advantage of these turbos is Ball bearign desgin 5 years in inpeller and exhaust desgin improvments. The S15 T28 or GT28 which ever you want to call it is real performance turbo. Has seen up to 18 psi in long distance production car racing.

Most turbo's can be adopted to our manifold with a plate.
These don't cost much. As for flow restrition, tripharn all thm numbers of flow only ever count going for top end results. If your spending 10,000 on and engine go ahead, but it might be small but it's also short.

A better flowing intake and manifold won't make up for a car running more boost or tuned correctly, even areodynamics.

Moost Oldschool V8's going turbo dont' even modify the heads intake or exhaust, They just Blow and use a bigger cam to allow the engine to suit the forced induction.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the great replies.

But was wondering what sort of performance increase is there in hi-flowing the stocky unit?

I'm not after huge increases but something would be nice.

Mainly because I don't want to push the gearbox to much, have already replaced it once, don't want to do it again!!!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
There are no bolt on turbos for us.

Adapter plate is the cheapest way, otherwise its custom manifold.

And VF22 can be had brand new for $1580 or less if you get lucky. VF30 can sometimes go for $1400.

Second hand, no kays - between 800-1100 will get you one.

Great BFB!

Pete

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tripharn said:
I believe Woo was getting 220hp ATW.... somewhere in that vicinity anyway.

Tripharn
was this from hi-flowing stock unit,

If it was and I was to hi-flow with larger impeller it would be a nice improvement. Is this correct???

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Yeah Woo had his high flowed.

Depedening on spec Yes high flow would see an improvment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts