Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so my alternator took a [shizzle] on me. I had an intermittent charge light on and now it's on all the time. The battery went dead after 2 minutes of cranking the motor (she doesn't like to start when it's cold out). If I jump it the car runs fine and the battery holds a charge as far as I have noticed (It's maybe 2 years old) if I put it on the charger. The alternator is original as far as I know so it's most likely the culprit.

I am going to get an alternator and install it myself when things warm up around here. The alternator installation looks pretty straightforward but the location is a pain in the ass.

How long do you guys think this will take me to do? Is it easier to do from the top of the bay or the bottom?

I guess it would be a good time to remove my AC unit too. It has never worked and I don't ever use it so it is just dead weight/parasitic drain. I've read that the AC delete belt is 315mm. Is this correct?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Don't really know about the alternator other than my guess would be getting at it from the bottom. And it prolly won't be very hard.

As for the no ac belt, just ask for an alternator ( maybe it was powoersteering that shares it I can't remember) belt without an ac option.

You won't even need a turbo kit with all that newfound AC delete power!!!

:p

·
Registered
761 Posts
Its easy bro. Once you loosen the upper tensioner, remove the bolts from the a/c compressor, the alternator is right there. About a 20 min job if you don't run into any snags.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Ive done it from both top and bottom. Its easier to do it from the bottom. Just unbolt the AC compressor and pull it out of the way. Then remove the alt, Its pretty easy, but that spot on the motor is also usually the most greasy/grimey.. so it can suck. Takes me about an hr.
If you do it from the top, it just becomes a mess of removing the motor mount, jacking the motor up, draining the AC, undoing ac lines.. not fun.

As for the belt, just ask for an ACC belt without AC, not every car came equiped with AC.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Just some advice as it appears you love tinkering on the car - while the alt is out, you should replace all the wires that lead to it. They tend to get brittle from the heat and actually corrode inside. That tends to cause a lot of the issues we have with the alts. loosing "power" - be sure to heat shrink them properly and use some decent heat-resistant wire.

Reactions: Chefsp0t
1 - 9 of 9 Posts