Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The parking brake in my 95 LS was not holding the car, so i replaced the frozen rear calipers and i also installed new pads and rotors. After bleeding the system twice the parking brake still does not hold. My next step is replacing the cables. Has anyone done this? Anything special i should know before starting?
Thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
does the ebrake still feel easy to pull when it gets to the top? No offense, but perhaps you just need to tighten up the cable, I believe by the handle under the interior trim, can't recall.
hr

·
Registered
122 Posts
E-brake...

Same story here! replaced rear calipers (after writing a new book on swearing... ) :)

The e-brake is easy to pull all the way back, it blocks the left rotor but not the right one... Tried to tighten the nut on the cable itself... No go.... I'm stumped.

Is the cable done for?
Is there another adjustment somewhere else?

:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
806 Posts
I don't think the answer is replacing the cable unless it is broken. You need to tighten the cable, I will have to consult the repair book as I haven't toyed with it, anyone else know how to tighten that rascal up? I kind of think it is done via the assembly at the left rear wheel, but again I am not sure.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i had the same problem with mine,everything worked fine but the parking brake would not hold.after much head pounding,i may have a solution to this problem-when you are done all brake work you have to manually adjust the caliper piston and push the pads against the rotor.according to the shop manual i saw you have to then turn the adjuster back 3/4 of a turn.i have found that this is not enough and took mine back 2 turns-the reason for this is that if you leave it at 3/4 the parking brake arm does not go through its complete swing and does not put enough pressure on the pads to hold the car.by leaving it at 2 turns the arm goes through its complete swing.it worked for me-there was no visible cable problem and my brakes worked just fine.if you stretch any cable its probably the single upper one at the handle not the individual ones that go to the wheels-you can take up some of the space under the nut with a small spacer or some washers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts