Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a leather shift boot cuz I'm tired of looking at the cheapo accordian thing. How do I remove the old one? It appears that I have to take apart half the center console to do it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's quite easy. Take the screws off on the top end(1 on each side). Then take the plastic tray under the hand brake(it's just a snap on), then take off the screws that are hidden under the tray, take the shift knobo off, then voila, you can push the centerconsole high enough and the boot should just fall off. There's a plastic thingy that keeps the boot in place. U need to put the end of your leather boot on it and put the plastic thingy back into where it was originally. Voila, u got yourself a leather boot.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK I replaced it. It wasnt that hard after all. Man there was a lot of crap in my center console that fell through the parking brake slot over the years! :) Various gum wrappers, a plastic spoon (still in the package), and other goodies. It looks a lot nicer now. Although, now I REALLY need a short shifter. The leather makes it look so damn tall now :).

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll take pics soon. I got a black boot. I dunno, I dont think a gray one would look that sporty. I was also thinking red, which might look nice but I want my car to be a bit more serious and conservative than "riced" out, so I think black is best. It's gonna look good with the steering wheel I wanna get. I'm gonna get an Isotta Strada in black. Should look (and feel) suhweeet!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Pacesetter?

I heard that a lot of the Pacesetter products were junk and that many parts dont fit the way they should.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pacesetter does make garbage. I had their cat-back exhaust and hated it. But lots of people have the short shifter (which is adjustable BTW) and have heard no complaints. I actually "shifted" one at a probe meet I went to during the summer, and it felt nice.

G

·
0 Posts
i have always wanted a short shift on my MX6, where do i go to get it, how hard is it to put in, and how much is it! i want one!!
I would like to see some pics of the leather boot, i might want to do that too, that is.. if it looks good. Which i am sure it does, better than a plastic boot! :)
later

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm pretty sure nopi.com sells the pacesetter short shift kit for about $120. You can also get it at http://www.corksport.com for about $120 too. Also just warning about the $75 corksport shifter. It's so cheap because you have to send in your shifter so they can convert it and then send it back to you. I'm gonna try and take pics of the boot tonight.

·
Registered
113 Posts
There's a place that has the pacesetter shifter for well under $120...I'll post it as soon as I can find it

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Surprisingly, for Pacesetter product, the shifter works exceptionally well. I've had it for about half a year and no problem. Replacing it is quite easy. Not bad for 110 bux. As for the price, i've heard anywhere from 100-120...I think nopi has it for about $110 or so.

G

·
0 Posts
Ok, i am sure there are instructions that come with the kit, but can somebody breifly describe whats involved in making the upgrade?? About how long does it take?
What exactly is the difference in the shfter? Does it make the space between gears smaller? or is the shift post just shorter? More info would be great! thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts