Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering replacing my '93 MX6's head unit with a pioneer deh-P8200R, but I'm not sure how the stock system is set up and how well the pioneer would work with the existing setup. The stock head unit to be replaced is a mazda am/fm casette that powers 6 speakers (2 tweeter, 2 fronts, 2 rears), and is also connected to a separate stock CD player. Here's a picture of what I have now in case you're not sure.

So today I pulled out the stock head unit to see how it was connected. I found the standard things - antenna, ground, small wire harness (power, illumination, etc.), large wire harness (speaker wires). But I also found 2 other black plugs that I can't identify - one has 13 pins and the other has 4 pins - Anyone know what these are??? Unplugging the small 4 pin plug didn't seem to have any effect as the radio and CD both continued to operate normally at normal volume. Unplugging the large 13 pin plug cut off most of the sound to the speakers (could still faintly hear sound though), but also did not affect the radio/CD operaton. This leads me to believe this plug goes to an external amp? I thought that MX6's didn't have external amps? If they do, where is it located and can I bypass it?

Also, if I replace the stock HU with the pioneer, can I still use the stock CD player as a 2nd CD by inputting its signal into the pioneer (either directly into the pioneer's ip-bus or with an auxillary input adapter)? I don't want to have a perfectly good working CD player taking up dash space if it can't be used somehow. Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

·
Registered
488 Posts
There is no stock amp in the 2nd gen MX-6 so you won't have any worries there. Teh 13 pin plug is the signal connection betwwen the radio and the CD player. For those that don't have the CD there is a plug with by-pass pins that plugs in to the backof the stock unit to defeat it. The 4 pin plug, I don't remember what it's for. Unfortunately you won't be able to get he stock CD to work with the Pioneer unit, at least not without a lot of work and circuit design. You may just want to go to the dealership and order the storage pocket that goes in place of it. It holds 3 CDs nicely.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Greg S

Thanks a lot Greg, I knew you'd have the answer. Sorry for the double UBB post - I deleted the probetalk one.

Maybe I'll try to sell the stock radio/CD combo (which still works perfectly) and trade the buyer for his storage pocket - any offers?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts