Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in the k's per tank thread that bluedraco suggest replacing the O2 sensor. Is it a case of worn or not or can some be ok and others be in need of replacement?

I get about 350-400 k's out of a tank, I guess that's not to bad but jimxsix is getting 500+

So what's the deal?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Can you check the ecu for error codes .. will it tell you if your ones are shot?..

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
how do i check the ecu to get the error codes?
do i need a laptop or something? cos i have absolutely no idea how to do that and it would be very helpful for a problem ive got atm

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
What you will need: Piece of wire that is stripped on both ends.

Instructions for the 2.2L engine:

-Make sure the engine is off and the key is out of the ignition.
-Locate the loose single wire harness near the driver's side strut tower. The wire should be red. This connector is called the self-test input connector (STI).
-Use the piece of wire to connect this STI connector to ground (negative battery terminal works well).
-Turn the key to the "ON" position, but do not start the engine.
-Codes are displayed as flashes of the CEL with pauses between digits. If the code has two digits the flashes for the first digit are slightly longer than for the second digit. If there are multiple codes in the ECA, they are separated by a slightly longer pause. Codes are displayed from lowest number to highest, then repeated.
-After repairing a malfunctioning sensor, you need to clear the ECA's memory. Do this by disconnecting the negative battery cable and holding down the brake pedal for at least five seconds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE CODES

1989 ALL
Code Sensor or Description
01 Ignition Pulse
02 Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS)
03 Cylinder Identification Sensor A
04 Cylinder Identification Sensor B
05 Knock Sensor or Knock Control Unit
08 Vane Airflow Signal (VAFSIG)
09 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT)
10 Vane Air Temperature Sensor (VAT)
12 Throttle Position Sensor (TP)
14 Barometric Pressure Sensor (BP)
15 EGO Sensor (EGO)
16 EGR Valve Position Sensor (EVP)
25 Pressure Regulator Control
26 Canister Purge Solenoid (CANP)
28 EGR Control Solenoid Valve (EGRC)
29 EGR Vent Solenoid Vavle (EGRV)
34 Idle Speed Control Solenoid Valve (ISC)
42 Turbocharger Boost Control Solenoid Valve (BOOST)

but i don't think you guys got the CEL. so ther must be somthing elce to it.. some one will know..

;)

·
Registered
415 Posts
just hook up a digital volmeter and each spike will represent a CEL flash

theres a thread on here somewhere on how its done, just search :p

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Codes are displayed as flashes of the CEL
what CEL? where is this CEL? dont u need an LED or similiar?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Mr. MX6 said:
but i don't think you guys got the CEL. so ther must be somthing elce to it.. some one will know..

I don’t have an I4, so I don’t know where to connect the LED or Volt meter .

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
can someone tell me the exact model of the O2 sensors for the 89 mx6?? and how many sensors need to be replaced in the car? cause im going to replace them...

also...are they easy to install myself?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
i know theres 1 sensor next to the turbo on the manifold..but isnt there 1 more??? where is it??? and do i need to replace both to get better fuel consumption??

and where to buy them from in sydney?

p.s. i still need the exact model and brand of it please guys

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
i just called repco and they have 2 types of sensors for the 1st gen

1. $80 for a sensor with 1 wire and no connections
2. $100 for a universal mutli connection/wire

which one to get??? and is this "connection" the black wire coming from the sensor?

and i still need to know if there is a SECOND O2 sesnor, and if so..where is it?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I had my o2 sensor replaced just over a week ago. I got mine through Pertoject. The sell the NTK (ngk) sensors.
Part no.: O2A25-F3 (single wire with connector for 88-92 mx6)

They charge $85 but after telling them that super cheap and autobarn sell for $75 so they gave it to me $62 (trade price).

I believe there is only one 02 sensor but i could be wrong.

As for installing it, i went to my mechanic and let me use his o2 sensor tool. I did the change over in the car park in about 5 mins.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
so yodo...u know the black wire coming out of the sensor...how do u remove that from the sensor without actually damaging the wire?(i.e. is it glued/soldered on the top of the sensor or something like that?) and how do that wire back into the NEW O2 sensor?

and how many sensors are there in the car?

p.s. ive never heard of Pertoject..??? are the online store or somethin?

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
im pretty sure there is another sensor further up near the temp sensor.

wat makes the ngk sensors any better? are they cheaper than the factory ones?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
can someone please confirm this...and where is the temp sensor?
and do i need to replace both to get better fuel economy?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
comeon guys...im gonna be buying this stuff tomorrow...so i need to know how many to buy...and if i can install the 2nd sensor(IF THERE IS ONE) by my self...???

someone please gimme feedback

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
As for installing it, i went to my mechanic and let me use his o2 sensor tool. I did the change over in the car park in about 5 mins.
and i still need to know about installing it...specifically how do i get the black wire into the new O2 sensor??? does it just push in or does it need soldering or similiar?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
??????

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
rodhog answered my question..thanks to everyone for IGNORING MY POST..or the post i took over from enzo ;) @- @- @- @- @- @- @- @- @- @- @- @- @- @- @- @- @-

1 - 20 of 42 Posts