Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know if anyone can help me with an issue I have. I have an EGR valve on my car that either needs to be cleaned again or replaced. I don't have any problem cleaning it, but after I cleaned it the check engine light came on again in less than 9 months. I do not want to re-clean this thing every 9 months as it is annoying.

What I need is to have my ECU reprogrammed so I can remove my EGR vavle altogether. I live in a state where we do not have to have our cars inspected, so emmisions are not an issue.

On a side note, I also plan to go forced induction in the future, however, the distant future. I would like to get something that could help in that aspect because I want to mess with the ECU as little as possible.

Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I doubt you will find an ECU programmer to do this, as our cars simply aren't that popular. I would suggest finding a way to "cheat out" the valve and switch electronically, just to fool the existing ECU. That should shut it up for good. For example, if you remove the valve innards, and simply let it actuate freely, it should move enough to trip the sensors and make the ECU believe it's working. I am not sure on the details of this valve, but I think you get the idea.

Secondly, if your EGR is clogging that badly, you may be burning a lot of oil? If that's the case, then FI is certainly not in the cards for this motor.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
An EGR delete can be done, but there is no point. The EGR malfunction code does NOT affect engine operation in anyway, all it does is give you a blinky light.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts