Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new here but open to opinions and thoughts. i dont care if i get flamed, its all just the newb process.

i had a 89 mx6 gt back when i first got my license. it was a great car, but never thought of modding it. so now im goin on 21 and want another mx6GT. ive done some research here about fuel.

Fuel mainly cus it is the biggest pain in the @ss w/ a turbo car. so here my questions begin. the stock injetors on a gt are 310cc. what is the restriction holding everyone back on doing larger say 440 cc injectors? if you would pair those with a rrfmu it could be tuned down to run in the "ideal" range of a a/f guage. also why not invest in a WBO2: http://techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/default.htm

if you want to run high power, why not get as accurate a reading as you can? the tuning process is what makes a car reliable and fast. also what other options for fuel delivery are out there? ive tried the sds eic kit but i was not to thrilled with it. now in my saturn i run a standalone "Megasquirt" unit which is controlled by laptop. http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html the tuning capabilities you have with this unit are incredible. letting you run any size or any impedance injector is a huge plus. so you could run a 52# high impedance injector in stock places. bigger injectors in stock places with a nice fuel pump make running higher boost possible, and the megasquirt paired with a wbo2 makes sure your car runs how it should.

so all in all my concerns this far with a mx6 gt start with fuel delivery. any questions/comments/feedback is welcome and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Adam

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Someone else I'm sure will chime in, but I'm gonna give the brief, dirty answers.

440s: Search, and acctually read the posts, and you'll have your answers.

Plus, If you'll notice, people put down 270-280 lb-ft with he stock injectors. Anyone who wants to go more will invest in the proper hardware, and usually those people are serious racers and don't need help from a message board (for the most part.)

Computer: Move to California...

Many people don't want to have to create their own fuel maps or tune it to death on a dyno when Mazda spent a crap load of money making a reliable and proven computer system. Same thing as above. A lot of these cars are daily drivers, and there are a few things people don't want to start ****ing around with to make sure they can get to work on monday. That's not to say they're not a daring bunch, but there comes a point where you just have to say "why"?

·
Registered
515 Posts
needaGT said:

so all in all my concerns this far with a mx6 gt start with fuel delivery. any questions/comments/feedback is welcome and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Adam
Not true...The greatest performance limiting factor of these cars is poor airflow.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Re: Re: research: sorry long

turbogt22 said:
Not true...The greatest performance limiting factor of these cars is poor airflow.
thats what bigger turbos are for. if this guy is worried about having enought fuel surely he's gonna be flowing more air.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i take it the cpus in the gts have a better programmed fuel curve? another question with the air flow, why when i see pics of the 1st gens gts do i not see modified piping? i notice air filters, but i have yet to see any real piping done? is it almost impossible or what? i would imagine if you would change the hot side (turbo to intercooler) piping it would increase airflow but ive never seen modified piping from intercooler to throttlebody?!?

again my ??? come from my lack of serious knowledge towards these cars. im trying to gather all the "Correct" information before i start my project.

Adam

·
Registered
515 Posts
Most people usually go through a upgrade pattern of mods. I would call them "bang for the buck" type mods. Sure you can get or make upgraded IC pipes like you suggested but, for the same money you can go turbo-back exhaust and make a bigger performance gain. Not just that but it leads to the next mod. Better intake. Better airflow leads to turning up the wick with a chip, boost controller, af guage(or egt), boost guage. And so on. One upgrade compliments the next and some even make the next one possible. At some point upgrading the IC pipes (usually with an IC upgrade) is justifiable (gain vs. cost).

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
needaGT said:
so i take it the cpus in the gts have a better programmed fuel curve? another question with the air flow, why when i see pics of the 1st gens gts do i not see modified piping? i notice air filters, but i have yet to see any real piping done? is it almost impossible or what? i would imagine if you would change the hot side (turbo to intercooler) piping it would increase airflow but ive never seen modified piping from intercooler to throttlebody?!?

again my ??? come from my lack of serious knowledge towards these cars. im trying to gather all the "Correct" information before i start my project.

Adam
I've got hard pipes. I also have a larger turbo and although this car is my only car, I still take some risks. Thats why right now I'm swapping in my 4th motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts