Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Often, the paint gets so oxidized and damaged so deep that a polishing will simply not work. You could try buffing the paint or wet-sanding it, but that will likely leave you with very little paint to work with, if you don't get all the way down to metal first. In the end, if the paint is that bad, you will simply need to have it stripped and repainted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the paint on my mx-6 looks bad too ((it's a 93)). the hood doesn't look too bad, but the roof and trunk look awful. i need to get it repainted, but i don't know how i'll be able to go for 3 days without it, it's my only car...

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have metallic paint, and this seems to fare better than the non-metallic glossy paint. In particular, the gloss red seems to fade the quickest (at least here in Australia, where the sun is so so so harsh).
I've used a Cut n Polish which has buffed out most of the scuffs on the body, and left a nice shine.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Ford has always had issues with their red paint - I had a 93 Probe in my garage for a while that I was planning on rebuilding. But, after seeing the terrible paint, I just donated the car - wasn't worth my time. On the other hand, my Mazda held up wonderfully (burgandy color).

I haven't seen a red-Ford yet that has held it's paint well... not sure why they can't seem to get it right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts