Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone please help me out. I was told by a fairly knowledgable person that there is a restrictor screw in the wastegate of our cars. It supposibly lowers the boost. This stems from "when mazda first gave the engine to ford for the probe, the probe spanked the mustang. Ford couldn't have a four beating it's marquee so it said slow these cars down."

Does anyone know anything about this?... is it true, can you take it out if it is?... I am new to this and as i was sifting threw the site I saw nothing of this.

Thanks

John Paul
on a quest for more speed!!!!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
The screw isn't in the wastegate itself, it's on the boost control solenoid. The BCS is bolted onto the turbo. I don't have pictures to post, but, I'm sure someone does somewhere, maybe they'll throw up a link. The wastegate is set to open at 6 psi < at least I THINK it's 6 > and the boost control solenoid bleeds some air from the wastegate so that it opens at a factory preset maximum of 9.3. If the ECU detects knock through the knock sensor, it shuts off the boost control solenoid, allowing the wastegate to open at 6 psi <read: lowering your boost so you don't blow up your engine>
Anyway, you'd have to unbolt the solenoid, and on the backside there's a nut with a screw inside. Take the nut off and turn the screw counter-clockwise to turn up the boost. I have done this without a boost gauge but I wouldn't recommend it.
If you go past 12 psi somehow, you'll hit overboost, you'll hear a chime through the speakers and the car will lose power. If that happens, turn the screw back in some.

·
Registered
666 Posts
To be honest, either way. You need a boost gauge to be safe. But, if you're gonna spend the money on a boost gauge, you might as well cough up $25 more to get a good bleeder valve. Such as one from www.dawesdevices.com
I'm gonna do that exact thing ASAP

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks man I apprieciate the info. I went to that site and that seems like a good way to go.

john paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts