Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever notice how narrow the inlet/outlet openings on the EGR gasket are? I was wondering last night if there would be a benenfit to grinding the openings to match the sizes of the cylinder head and EGR body openings.

The EGR is mostly always working...Therefore, the better it flows, the better the world will be, correct? Or do you suppose making alterations will actually mess things up?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I guess it depends on how you define "benefit". The EGR valve, you'll recall, is responsible for metering exhaust back into the intake manifold during certain conditions. It's primary purpose is the reduction of the production of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) by reducing peak combustion chamber temperatures but it also, as a side benefit, reduces the engine's likelihood to experience detonation when active.

At idle, when at wide-open throttle and when the coolant temperature is below about 50oC, the EGR is disabled.

So by port matching the EGR valve and gasket, you'll likely increase exhaust recirculation. This will have zero performance benefits. NOx emissions might go down but I really doubt it. It also may cause the engine to feel a little "lumpy" until the PCM picks up on the change and alters the EGR fuel trim value a tad. That shouldn't take very long though.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Manifest

I heard that it gives some performance blocking it off, what do you think about it? Does your check engine light come on because its blocked? Could you make some gaskets to sell to us?hehe

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Well; didn't notice any performance gains; but I did notice that the chipped computer works in the car much better with it blocked off. (I had some surge problems with the chipped computer in my car due to the EGR) It was easy to do; trace the old one on tin; then cut out and sand. Make some holes for the bolts and all is good. My CEL light does not come on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts