Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as you porbably know I had my car dyno tunedd and attempted to do a power run ..in hope to diagnose my power problem...

Well after 8 hours of my car it was discovered that everything was in working order..they removed the rocker cover everything was fine, a/f mixture was good if not a lil rich, all injectors were firing properly, fuel pump was working, car was getting enough fuel and everything seemed fine..but my loss of power at 4,500 rpm or 12psi was still occuring they tried numerous other things but to know avail...basically they put it down to boost cut..

anyhow they suggested that maybe my pod was the problem in that in the warmer weather it was sucking in too much hot air and although I had my cold air intake this was feeding in in warm external air aswell..causing soem sort of problem, they said this would explain why my car ran alright of a night cause even though the pod sucked in warm air from under the engine there was enough cold external air being brought in through the cai to counteract this problem.....

What do you all think

Oh btw the tried a power run but of course I got nothin from it...oh and for 8 hours and 3 hours of that spent on the dyno the entire thing cost me 50bucks plus a drive to Cranbourne..booyah!!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
i thought that would have been the most obvious answer.....????

dont tell me u havent tried the stock box yet?????

i know my car had the same issue in hot weather but i just put up with it i guess....

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
with what you've described, i really doubt its boost cut because that would happen more often at night... wouldnt it?

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
very true xskape. also, did they run a fan infront of your car, with the cai where is ur pod loacated?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pod is located where the stndard airbox was..as far as replacing the pod with the standard airbox I did alreay did do that but I forgot to reset the ecu after doing it..maybe it stored something..anyhow I've gotta remove the pod before I go for my epa test 2moz so Im sure Ill find out if thats the answer...

thats what they said and I thought but they said you get higher boost of a night cause the air is denser (i think maybe the said thinner) anyhow they said hot air is the opposite and maybe the boost cut is caused by a bad air fuel mixture although it looked fine on the dyno...

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
post up a pic of ur dyno printout

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
everything is not fine, if its still there, as few have said before its motor issue, not anything else. like i said, and so has dusty itst your freaking valves

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the pulled off my rocker cover and checked all that Mark right infront of me they are fine...

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
now as far as motor wise stuff they did compression and everything else looks ok too, dont remember the exact figures but they werent too bad...ohh and lima didnt gte a printout the offered it to me but I saw no point once I've got the car working again they've offered with 3 power runs for free...cause the felt bad they couldnt even diagnose the problem..even though they only charged me 50 :) so with the 3 power runs Im gonna run it ocne with the Bov and everything on and the other 2 times on 2 diff boost settings. maybe 9 and 12psi without the bov

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
what they check, they take them out ??

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Thats very cheap... I think you said they were friends though?

Is the power loss, just that it doesn't pull very hard? or is it that it misses etc?

I'm wondering what the dyno plot actually looked like, it might just be the hot weather and when it cools again the problem will go away. I know coming from brisbane to canberra it feels like I gained 15-20hp on my butt dyno.... but 25deg to 0deg meant that my butt dyno was a bit numb.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
well I know I only gain when it gets cold an not much overall.

But one thing I have noted - you have Hi-flow listed ZORB. but what about ECU ?

If your running a stock ECU with a hi-flow I can easily see it cutting out.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I didnt think bout keep the printout..the price was through a friend :)

MArk: they checked for movement or something and signs of wear I dont know exactly what but I did watch them give the engine a half decent inspection.

Trip: The power loss is basically that the engine just dies when I hit around 4,500-5000 rpm with the boot in..its like Im runnign out of fuel or soemthing...

Rod: I've had the turbo hi-flowed for over a year now though it ran fine last summer..why all of a sudden??

Ohh and finally just removed the boost controller and pod and Bov the car still hits about 10-11psi at amx boost is that unusual or will my other mods account for that??

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
other things Im thinkign of but arent highly probable include blocked exhaust, blocked cooler, fuel pump (although dyno joitn said it was working fine)....yodo has reccomended me an efi joint so ill check em out

·
Registered
738 Posts
zorb_rules said:
other things Im thinkign of but arent highly probable include blocked exhaust, blocked cooler, fuel pump (although dyno joitn said it was working fine)....yodo has reccomended me an efi joint so ill check em out
YOUR problem sounds similar to what i got at the moment. My mechanic said to replace the dizzy cap and rotor button.(HENCE MY THREAD) i replaced the sparkies with ngk about 1 year ago and the leads (top gun). so dont think its them. i replaced the rotor button today. but the problem is still occuring.

WHEN i'm in gear and the revs are over 3,000 rpm.. the power cuts out. "like there is no fuel" but if i rev it in neutral,. everything is fine.

soo WTF. HELP:help:

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mine dies in enutral too but does sound similar..let me knwo how you go with the dizzy Ill elt you know if I come across anything

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Something says to me a short in the injector wiring

but It's very similar to what one guy had in his 626 GT he replaced a ignition module or something similar. I'm not sure I can't remember but it was expensive

·
Registered
738 Posts
i'm get the occasional backfire too. i'm guessing it is the ingnition system. but it could be the fuel filter too maybe? i dont know. gonna go back to my mechanic in about 8 hrs. right after i get sleep now.:help:

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i do but its off now and problem still occurs :) as far asinjector wiring that still doesnt explain the reason for the car runnign fine in the cold weather but not in the warm weather..thats the mystery that gets me...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts