Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Reuse old seals or get all new?

710 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Legal Bill 
#1 ·
Ok, for those who haven't followed my other thread, I have the 1990 DL front end project from hell going on right now. The entire suspension and CV joints are off, except for the struts.

Fortunately, I now have all the major components back, either remanufactured or in good working order. Tonight I test fit everything on to the knuckles to make sure all the parts were right and would fit. I noticed three seals. One in the back of each knuckle and one in the transaxle on the drivers side, all where the CV joint assemblies go. Do you replace these seals before reassembly? Can you get them at a parts store or are they dealer only? Finally, do they come out and go in easy or do you need special tools or some little trick to do them right.

The car has 138,000 miles on it and is a manual tranny

As always, Thank you for your time.

Bill

#2 ·
It is a toss up on dealer only parts but yes replace them. The seals should just tap in to place. On my 91 929 S I just did the front bearing which are pressed in the front rotor. The local Mazda Dealer did it for 65 bucks- pressed out old, turned rotor, pressed in new and new seals which were gotten at a napa auto part store as the dealer was out.

#3 ·
I would replace them, maybe they didn't leak before, but they will now. Unless you don't mind pulling everything apart and fixing it, cause it could be a gusher leak.

#4 ·
Good to hear you finnaly got everything sorted out. I attempted to replace the seals in my GT, but was given the wrong ones. When I tried installing, they were crushed and the hub would not turn.
Stock replacement is #G30433065 and list at $8.10 each.

Hope this helps.
-Britt-

#5 ·
marolf101x said:
Stock replacement is #G30433065 and list at $8.10 each.
Your best bet for "peace of mind", would be to buy the OEM seals listed for your transaxle. The knuckle hubs.........? It's a toss-up, are you having new bearings pressed in ? You're there now, so be sure to do whatever may be questionable. Saving a few $ now, could cost you grief later.
Also, I'd recommend pulling the struts down and checking the top mounts, while you're into the front end rebuild project. All of your extra effort will pay off in a much smoother driving car.

#6 ·
Got the new seals and put them in.

The front end is all together.

I didn't pull down the struts. Too tired. Probably should have, but that isn't too hard to deal with later.

Oil is changed as well as transaxle fluid

One wheel stud got munged up during all the work and I didn't see it until I tried to put the lug nut on. Now I need a tap and die. I hope sears has the right sizes.

Thanks to everyone for all the help on this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.