Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D Hey guys and gurls..just put in some reverse glow gauges i bought off ebay and they look great! The only problem is when i put my needles back on the temp gauge automaticly pins...i took it apart 3 times and still have no idea why or how to fix it??? any help would be greatly appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,045 Posts
You should never have taken the needles off.

Try removing the needle, turning the car to ON, and then putting the needle on where it should be facing.... but now you've lost all "accuracy" it had. Might be better to leave the needle off, let the car warmup completely, then eyeball it to where it used to sit in Normal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,275 Posts
this is what i did.. i took a pic of where the needles were before i started when the car had been running for a bit
i left the plastic glass off and hooked it up with NO needles on.. i then let my car run for several minutes until i knoew the gauges would be where they were in the pic..
i then replaces them all, and seems to be working fine.
OH, for the gas gauge, i just went and filled it right to the top and then put that needle on full..

so far, no problems.. been several months now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,275 Posts
OH and another thing, people told me not to remove the needles, just to slide the gauge over the needles, but that didn't work.. I had to remove the needles.

and tip.. i replaced the 4 bulbs in the back that illuminates the needles with red bulbs, you won't regret that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,045 Posts
I slid them over for my 2g years ago. Was even more difficult since the tach/speedo are on the same piece.

However, from your pic, it looks like your needle stick out the other end of the round black part so that is probably why it wouldn't work.

I still don't like the idea of removing the needles and would probably avoid this mod from 2001, but if you want it, you need to do it or cut the sheet to make it slide around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,430 Posts
Slid over on mine just fine..... you might have to slide it so it goes under one side of the black piece to allow for it to pass over the back side of the needle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
Joel said:
Slid over on mine just fine..... you might have to slide it so it goes under one side of the black piece to allow for it to pass over the back side of the needle.

Ding ding, this man deserves karma from everyone. It's really not hard to install these.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
midrange said:
OH and another thing, people told me not to remove the needles, just to slide the gauge over the needles, but that didn't work.. you had to remove the needles.

and tip.. i replaced the 4 bulbs in the back that illuminates the needles with red bulbs, you won't regret that!
You obviously thought it was hard...atleast to do it the easy way.

You do NOT have to remove the needles.

And although no one stated they're hard to install...they're all doing it the hard way (because it can mess up the needles) then coming here and asking how to fix the needles because they're messed up. (no offense to anyone who did this)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,653 Posts
Try installing these type of gauges in a GSX, the over lays need to go over 2 needles wich are very close to each other. BUT it was possible with a little bit of bending.


This is not hard, and you dont remove the needles. My advice to you is, let your car warm up completly (for 45min atleast) then place the needle in the center. If your it stayed in the middle before you did this, then you will have no problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,275 Posts
IceMan MX-6 said:
You obviously thought it was hard...atleast to do it the easy way.

You do NOT have to remove the needles.

And although no one stated they're hard to install...they're all doing it the hard way (because it can mess up the needles) then coming here and asking how to fix the needles because they're messed up. (no offense to anyone who did this)
i never once came on here saying my needles were messed up. read again. i didn't "obviously" think it was hard. it took me a whole 2 minutes to remove the needles, put the gauges on and replace the needles. How hard is that? and my gauges work as if they were not taken off.. your making it sound like your way is the only way in to do it. well guess what, its not..

so thanks for the negative karma, but my way works just as good as yours..
He gave me negative karma saying i gave wrongful information in this thread, but for some reason, i don't remember giving any information, I just said how i did it.. thanks though.. much appreciated.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kansas

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
midrange said:
i never once came on here saying my needles were messed up. read again. i didn't "obviously" think it was hard. it took me a whole 2 minutes to remove the needles, put the gauges on and replace the needles. How hard is that? and my gauges work as if they were not taken off.. your making it sound like your way is the only way in to do it. well guess what, its not..

so thanks for the negative karma, but my way works just as good as yours..
He gave me negative karma saying i gave wrongful information in this thread, but for some reason, i don't remember giving any information, I just said how i did it.. thanks though.. much appreciated.
Lol, alright whatever man. I'm done arguing with a noob. All you had to do was keep your "no one said it was" to yourself. You only said that because you said You HAD to remove the needles, sliding them over didn't work and I said you didn't have to take them off. I guess you felt offended or something, who knows. And yes, your way might work, but sliding them over prevents threads asking how to fix the gauge needles. I've been on this site since 2002. I've seen just about every question there is to ask atleast 5 times each. It gets pretty aggravating.

Alright, i'm sorry for going off topic everyone.

BACK ON TOPIC

All you have to do is slide the gauges under the needles. Looks tricky, but you just have to be patient and work with it. You can take the needles off, but you could possibly have problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,275 Posts
bfells93 said:
dude i did the same thign as you took the needles off no problems there!! where did u put ur red wire ?haha
lol. don't start that again.

and yes, i agree.. removing the needles can damage the unit ifyour careless and don't know what your doing. anyways. this topic is pretty much cleared up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,045 Posts
Porkitch said:
when i removed the neeedles i screwed up and put the tack needle to high.. when i put egnition on the needle would to to 2 grand not sit on zero.. i drove it for a day a pretended my redline was 10 grand haha (fixed now)
That explains those people who have "8000rpm" redlines on here. :lol:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top