Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, finally got around to installing these things. I also got a carbon fiber bezel from procarparts.com.

In the light.

At night.

I went ahead and put red gelcaps on the cluster lights to make the needles and odometer numbers glow red. It's all plenty bright enough to read. Also, i changed my turn signals to blue, though that's kinda hard to see in the pic. In my opinion, they look awesome and it was surprisingly easy to do. The hardest part was getting the dash trim off. :p Tell me what you guys think.

Trent

·
Registered
180 Posts
Great job, looks sweet day/night

Great job, give us a little how to on the changing the color of the turns and the needles. What kind of materials are needed?

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
thats awesome.. i want my turn signals blue soooo bad.. and my needles even more bad.. you're my hero.. tell us how! lol

- Jay

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys are gonna so laugh when i tell you how i did the turn signals. but first the needles.

I just bought some plain bulb gelcaps. You'll need two blue ones and I think 4 red ones. I got mine from walmart because that's all that was still open when i got around to doing this. But you can get them at Autozone for a lot cheaper, fyi.

First, remove the gauge cluster. It's really not that hard. Like I said, the hardest thing is pulling the dash trim off because of the a/c vents. there's a tutorial on how to get the cluster out in the project forum, but it's really self explanatory once you get to it.

Once you have the cluster out, you'll see that the bulbs twist out of the back of the gauge cluster by twisting them 1/4 turn and pulling. There's a ton of them back there, but the only ones you want to pull are the big ones, not the little ones over by the temp gauge. For the turn signal lights, put blue gel caps. For all the other ones, put the red gel caps. Oh, actually, you do have to pull one of the small ones over by the gas gauge. It's got a dark green back whereas the others have black backs and it's kind of apart from the rest of them. this bulb is what gives light/color to the gas needle. you'll have to rig one of the gelcaps to fit this tiny bulb by cutting it and taping it together around the bulb. That'll take care of that cool red glow. Believe me, you don't want to skip that step. The stock color looks goofy with the brightly colored glow gauges.

Now for the turn signal indicators: I popped out the little green pieces of plastic and (this is where you're going to laugh) cut out some new blue ones from two sierra mist bottle caps! This took a little trial and error, but they eventually just popped right in. Then, just put the blue gelcaps on the turn signal bulbs as mentioned before, reinstall all the bulbs, put your cluster back in, reassemble your dash, drink those two sierra mists, and there ya go!

Trent

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have had my turn signals blue for years, I really like the way it looks. I used the tops to those Gladware food storage containers from the grocery, just cut out six circles ( had to triple up so it didn't look purple). Your way seems just as good if not better.
Looks good!

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had tried putting everything together without the plastic inserts over the bulbs and it looked fugly IMO. you don't get that even light distribution and you can see the bulbs inside. Plus, it's plenty bright even with the covers.

Trent

·
Registered
436 Posts
the CF bezel looks pretty cool... anyone have a pic of the aluminum one?

And where did u buy ur gauges.... a lot of the ones on ebay don't seem to show the red km/hr too well. Might just be the picture though...

Looks great!

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i got em from procarparts.com. actually, these don't show the red all that well either unless you have them turned up pretty far. of course, you're gonna want to set them high anyway. they just look so good like that. :D

·
Registered
463 Posts
I do have a question. All that has been very informative. But... I noticed that your Miles and Trip are red too... That is BAD ASS. Was that part of the guages or what changed that, it can't be the needlese can it? Condsidering that they are normally green.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
totally differnt gauge cluster:

I also done this....Along time ago...and heres my write up on how to do this ( recently wrote this up for Turtlespeed )

You will need

this type of bulb.194 (also known as 168 and 158)
You can buy them anywhere, i got red bulbs from checker auto parts, and then got red slip covers from wall mart, If you dont get covers..the lights kinda go pink after a while and arent as dark red in the begining.
There all that size bulb (all but 1 of them) One of the bulbs is a tiny bulb and it may cause some trouble...you might wanna just get a colored slip cover for it, or do what i did, and hardwire a bigger bulb into the tiny socket the tiny bulb went into and then sliped the hardwired bulb in and then the socket(If you dont use the tiny socket, you will have to hardwire into a panel light) * if you dont do anything with the bulb, then a portion of the right side of yer gauges will be the stock color. The easyest way to get a cover for that bulb is to A. go to radio shack and buy a tiny rocker switch with a colored gel cap end on it or B. go to radio shack and steal the rubber end off the rocker switch :D.

This is the stainless gauge bezel.

Red lights

I dint go as far as removing the green signals. I liked them the way they are.
... I noticed that your Miles and Trip are red too...
all the bulbs in the back of the cluster light up the entire cluster, and you can change them all. Yet you cant change designated parts of the cluster * like trying to make rpm blue, speed red, and odometer yellow. it will look dumb.

TIP:...to achieve the brightest color of red, buy red bulbs and red caps. other wise they wear out and look pinkish.

just givin my info.:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, you got a much more vivid red with those bulbs than I did. I just used some red gelcaps from wal-mart. For the little bulb on the left, I just put a round of tape around a normal gelcap. :p

Trent

·
Registered
141 Posts
i installed the gauge myself but how do u install the carbon fiber bezel?? i dun see any way to insert that into into the plastic cover

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
easy. thankfully, the bezel is very flexible as it's only one layer of carbon fiber weave encased in a flexible clear plastic. So all you do is bend it in the middle and insert it into the gauge cluster through the speedometer hole from the back. then remove the paper from the adhesive and carefully (take your time to get this right) pull the bezel onto the gauge cluster. it's easier if you do it one side at a time, only pulling the paper back about half way, and then doing the other side. It's hard to explain, but once you have it all apart, you'll see what i'm talking about.

Trent

1 - 16 of 16 Posts