Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Should we create an OFFICIAL club?

does it cost to register a club??? i think we have enough people to create a club..... probe/mx6/Telstar/626.... official club, just like mx5s got
well just an idea.

(sorry BF, I changed the name of this thread so that people would know what it's about... RIC)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yep - it does cost but I'm not sure of the details.

I've been thinking about this as well. There's a certain amount of effort involved in putting a club together and maintaining it, as well as a reasonable amount of cost.

I think it's a good idea because (god forbid) were the organisers of a meet or cruise ever sued there would be no cover. At least if it's a club there's a certain amount of protection (and accountability) involved.

Anyone else got any ideas??

G

·
0 Posts
or we could come under the wing of a much larger club...egsomthing like the Ford Four club, or some Mazda club, somewhere where the hard work's already been done and the infrastructure (oooh...that's a big word...) already exists.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well only mazdaclub i know of is mx5s and i doubt they will accept telstars and 626s..... probes and mx6 will be fine but five doors...i doubt it. while on ford side, they realy have no major clubs...besides falcons and mustangs

but very good idea there stive })

·
Registered
621 Posts
Actually Freddie I tried to join the MX-5 club a year or so ago - absolutely no way. I would say this is THE most model conscious car clubs out there!

There apparently is a MAZDA car club - I saw it in the back of Unique Cars magazine. Might be worth checking out...

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ric, i have looked through all my Unique Car collection(well, i actually was looking for importers, and then just opend up to clubs, and got an idea)..... but there is only one mazda club......Mazda mx5 club of (state).......or just mx5 club. what really surprised me there is no Rx2, rx3, rx4, rx5 or r100 clubs, they all under one thing, rotary club. anyway thats me just rubleing on :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
well, that too Woo. but clubs also have their track days..... another thing its easier to get people to join a club, rather than just a website, youd be surprised how many people have no internet readly avalible, plus it also gives more family like feel
thats was just me thinking.... i thought it would be cool to open uniqe cars and see something like MazFord Club or something

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. Some insurance companies also offer discounts for members of a registered car club.

We are a little unlucky, as most clubs only have 1 maybe 2 models in it. Ie. The QLD MX5 Club... whereis ours would be "The MX6/626/Telstar/Probe Club of Australia" :) :)

doesn't quite have the same "ring" to it, does it :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
How do some of the major car clubs cover themselves for cruises etc?? or is it done without government/police/insurance notification and cover.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Just checked with CAMS.

We could register a club for about $420 per annum (less than 40 members, costs less with more than 40 members).

When you get your club affiliated you are able to get insurance on all meets/drives etc that covers third party property, public liability and the like.

Each meet need to have "Sup Regs" or Supplementary Regulations which spell out the rules. We'd have a standard for cruises, a different one for things like the summit etc.

Being an affiliated club, CAMS would need to know our members names and addresses, and we'd need an "off the shelf" consistitution. There is no "requirement" for AGM's and monthly meetings, but an AGM (Annual General Meeting) would be smart.

Insurance is required on each club meet and ranges from $33 (for things like the black spur meet) to $600 (for a supersprint day at a track). The idea would be to come together with other clubs for the track days to spread the cost and make it cost-effective.

I've got Cams sending me the information, which I'll either scan or summarise and post here.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi guys. yes, I'm one of those evil people from that evil club that doesn't allow you to join (boo hiss)...

Sorry about that. Basically, we've got 280+ members rights to respect and to allow a free-for-all on memberships would undermine the fact that it is a single marque club...

There has been discussion however of creating a "racing member" category, so that non-MX5 drivers could join our club purely in order to get a CAMS 2 license and go to track events... We'll see how that progresses though, we're about to get a new committee (AGM next weekend)

As for club affiliation, there is a more general car club association than CAMS that would probably be worth checking out (sorry, can't remember its name - Car Club Association of Australia or something...). CAMS is good for motorsport stuff, but you WOULD NOT want to get a CAMS permit for a cruise.

What we use to cover ourselves for cruises is a page of Convoy Rules that is handed out to every driver at the start of every cruise, and everyone is told to read it before departure. It basically says that you must obey road rules, be courteous to others, maintain a sensible distance between cars, no overtaking, etc. Essentially this is used to differentiate these cruises from any form of race or speed event.

Email me if you want more info and I'll try to get some off our other committee members, re constitutions, etc

·
Registered
672 Posts
What a load of crap, no offence to MX5 owners and club members, but the theory of letting other non MX5 members in a club just so that you can grow in order of getting a CAMS2 licence.

If this happens does the MX5 club tell its new members your only part of this club because we want a CAMS2 licence??? Are they warned that they are getting used for this purpose and this purpose only.....

By the way I attend and have been with MelbCCr for a while and Ive never been charged for any cruises that Ive been on....

What do they have that others dont???

For those who havent been or dont know about it MelbCCR is also known as Melbourne Car Cruise Registry.

They have plenty of different cruises and track meets through out the year.....

Check them out on:
http://www.melbccr.com

G

·
0 Posts
I've been 'post whoring' around a few sites trying to see what other Clubs have done. I have the info. from the NSW Dept of Fair Trading about Incorporating a Club; but it does seem rather cumbersome & expensive for the size we are at the moment!
I recall the the NSW Street Machine Assoc. had an affiliate program for small clubs for $2.00 per member per year, that covered the insurance issues & gave a voice for via a larger forum over rego issues & the like but I can't find any contact details on the web (the SA guys have a nice site!!); anyone know with any other suggestions on who we could affiliate with economically?

·
Registered
621 Posts
VooDoo said:
What a load of crap, no offence to MX5 owners and club members, but the theory of letting other non MX5 members in a club just so that you can grow in order of getting a CAMS2 licence.

If this happens does the MX5 club tell its new members your only part of this club because we want a CAMS2 licence??? Are they warned that they are getting used for this purpose and this purpose only.....
Oops... that's not what Matty meant Darko...

A driver may join up with the MX-5 club so that he/she may get a CAMS level 2 licence. You see, you need to be a member of a Cam affiliated club before you can get a licence.

The club is already affiliated, they let non MX-5's join to help them out. ;)

For those who havent been or dont know about it MelbCCR is also known as Melbourne Car Cruise Registry.

They have plenty of different cruises and track meets through out the year.....

Check them out on:
http://www.melbccr.com
Looks good mate. Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Thanks for that clarification ric...

1)we (Mazda MX-5 Club of Victoria) are already a CAMS affiliated club

2)If you want to attend a sprint event, you need a CAMS level 2 licence

3) to get a CAMS 2 licence to need to be a financial member of a CAMS affiliated club

4) normally we don't allow non-MX5 drivers to join

5) If we create this new membership category (we have about 5 categories already), then non-MX-5 drivers can join, for the purpose of enabling them to obtain a CAMS 2 licence.

6) This category would be cheaper than a normal membership, but you would not receive a monthly newsletter, etc, just your club membership card.

make sense?

Also, following up a previous post of mine, I think the correct name is the Incorporated Clubs of Australia that you might want to investigate... They can provide a bare-bones constitution that you can then modify to suit your own needs.

·
Registered
672 Posts
My appologies...I may have misunderstood...

I got a little worked up with regards to what I misunderstood...

Dont hang me just yet, I havent lived my MX6 life long enough.

G

·
0 Posts
Got some information coming from Australian Street Machine Assoc. about affiliation; won't see it until late next week though, so too late for Canberra roundtable!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Different marques

"Marque" is a bit grandiose - however - I'll use it!

I have put on the record before and I mean no offence when MHO is that this proposed "club" should be make/model and series specific.

I use the same analagy that I did in discussion with (Craig)Homer - If you collect Corgis, well Dinkies are certainly of great interest but you wouldn,t want them in your collection. Otherwise we become, apart from anything else, guilty of swelling the ranks for other than purely mutual benefit, rather like the MX5/Cams 2 thing that, was it Woo? was a little uspset about.

I think Ford and Maxda probe/TX5/626/series 1 and 2 MX6 is waaaay too wide a dragnet.

Again - just my HO - no offence intended.

4WSB

1 - 20 of 27 Posts