Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got "done" with the bulk of the work for right now. Painted the car with the exact same paint as Fireredgt from probetalk did to the infamous 2g base "tank Probe". Pictures really dulled out since the weather has been overcast today. I'll probably snap more recent pics when it gets sunnier/when the car is complete. Found this lip kit/body kit on a GL at the pick n pull. Got the whole thing for 80 bucks if I remember right because of the 50 % of sales.

Also got done putting in my big brake kit. Same setup as in my 2g track car. The pedal isn't as firm as I'd like. Feels like stock, but the car now has Goodridge lines, Hawk HPS pads, and ATE Blue fluid in it. Either there is still air in my lines or the master cylinder is crapping out/inefficient. I would think it would feel a lot more firm. Have not really tested the brakes out, went to the backroads and the rear tires rubbed alot since I had 2 people with me. I might try out putting in a 2g master cylinder in which I can also use my pressure bleeder on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
nice kit! Seen the probe on probetalk in the same color and liked that too! You should copy him and make the top black! I think it would accent the wheels quite well, oh yeah, and tint the windows!

Great looking 1g. The kit flows so nicely with the stock body lines, I love it!

:thumbup:

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Coolest looking Green Probe evar.

:D

·
Registered
140 Posts
it doesnt looked "riced out" it looks like a saturn lol, but for real, looks great, nice wheel/tire/brake setup

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
that body kit does look amazing. That car has the perfect balance of everything. Nice job man!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice kit! Seen the probe on probetalk in the same color and liked that too! You should copy him and make the top black! I think it would accent the wheels quite well, oh yeah, and tint the windows!

Great looking 1g. The kit flows so nicely with the stock body lines, I love it!

:thumbup:
I was thinking about it, but I think it would look better all green for the 1g. Maybe if there is ever a CF hood or I make a fiberglass hood I will.

Coolest looking Green Probe evar.

:D

Nice! What brake setup is that?
It is Millenia dual pot calipers on top of 3000 GT Vr4 rotors. I am using brackets I bought off of some dude on probetalk.

Looks like a close call on those rims and rotors
Oh it is, I had to grind down the caliper for the passenger side. Not too much, but I like how the brakes really fill the wheel up.

That [shizzle] looks dope man! :tup:
Thanks man. Keep me posted on the "sha-blammers" we talked about in PMs:D.

that body kit does look amazing. That car has the perfect balance of everything. Nice job man!
Thanks man. She ain't done yet. I think the balance will be right when I upgrade to a T-Bird hybrid and up the boost a bit.

Thank you everyone for your comments.

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Also got done putting in my big brake kit. Same setup as in my 2g track car. The pedal isn't as firm as I'd like...... Either there is still air in my lines or the master cylinder is crapping out/inefficient. I might try out putting in a 2g master cylinder
Tsk tsk tsk. C'mon Stevoh, you know the answer to this. Or have you forgotten?

This is Todds kit correct? Using millennia calipers, right?

Millennia twin piston calipers disperse the same (close enough at least) amount of fluid as the 2nd gen single piston calipers. The 2nd gen master cylinder is 15/16" bore. The 1st gen master cylinder is 7/8" bore. Ergo...using a 2nd gen setup on a 1st gen without matching the master cylinder will have you lacking @8% volume in the master cylinder.

More pedal throw, less pedal pressure and more rotational inertia from larger rotors? Hmmmm ;)

The color reminds me of a school "greenboard". Chalk = instant graphics!

Gavin

·
Josh Bannings = 1
3,178 Posts
Not to mention the seal in the MC is old and you probably killed it when you were bleeding your brakes.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
uhh i might be mistaken but arent the rotors on there backwards? i dont own slotted rotors so im not positive but i thought they went the other way

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tsk tsk tsk. C'mon Stevoh, you know the answer to this. Or have you forgotten?

This is Todds kit correct? Using millennia calipers, right?

Millennia twin piston calipers disperse the same (close enough at least) amount of fluid as the 2nd gen single piston calipers. The 2nd gen master cylinder is 15/16" bore. The 1st gen master cylinder is 7/8" bore. Ergo...using a 2nd gen setup on a 1st gen without matching the master cylinder will have you lacking @8% volume in the master cylinder.

More pedal throw, less pedal pressure and more rotational inertia from larger rotors? Hmmmm ;)

The color reminds me of a school "greenboard". Chalk = instant graphics!

Gavin
Hey Gavin. Long time no talk. Well one of the reasons I want to use a 2g master cylinder is because I cannot find a suitable cap for the 1g MC to work with my pressure bleeder. The slots on the threads for the cap will just make maintaining pressure impossible. I think the main reason the pedal isn't as firm is because there is air still in the lines. My pressure bleeder already has a 2g MC cap built. To be able to bleed both the Probes with the pressure bleeder would make things easier.

I should say, the added rotational mass from the larger rotors did not effect the 2g, not as much as I would be able to notice, so I would assume since the 1g is in fact "larger" pedal feel would remain the same if not better. The pads I was using with the stock/ebay shit rotors were seriously 15-20 dollar pads. So to have the HPS feel the same if not worse than those pads makes me concerned. I think it is more so the fact there is air in the lines. I still haven't really tested the systme out yet either so how knows.

Not to mention the seal in the MC is old and you probably killed it when you were bleeding your brakes.
The MC is 2 years old. Rebuilt. Though I hear the rebuilt units are garbage. I have noticed that a lot of companies are now making brand new units for cars now. I am running a "brand new" one in my Explorer and the reservior seals were leaking right out the box. A lot the of reserviors for the available MCs are different to boot. So how knows how the MCs capabilities are effected when companies take liberty in adding their own design to the MC.

uhh i might be mistaken but arent the rotors on there backwards? i dont own slotted rotors so im not positive but i thought they went the other way
Naw, I feel this have a more of a scooping effect than if they were the other way. I have seen various race cars place the slots this way. I think they look better this way too.

Thats not riced out, are those rota slip streams?

Yessir, the old tried and true Rota Slipstreams. Any other Rota and you run the risk of them breaking lol.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It seems like it would contradict itself being spray bombed with a body kit but the stance of the car really saves it. Looks badass.

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Hey Gavin. Long time no talk. Well one of the reasons I want to use a 2g master cylinder is because I cannot find a suitable cap for the 1g MC to work with my pressure bleeder. The slots on the threads for the cap will just make maintaining pressure impossible. I think the main reason the pedal isn't as firm is because there is air still in the lines. My pressure bleeder already has a 2g MC cap built. To be able to bleed both the Probes with the pressure bleeder would make things easier.

I should say, the added rotational mass from the larger rotors did not effect the 2g, not as much as I would be able to notice, so I would assume since the 1g is in fact "larger" pedal feel would remain the same if not better. The pads I was using with the stock/ebay [shizzle] rotors were seriously 15-20 dollar pads. So to have the HPS feel the same if not worse than those pads makes me concerned. I think it is more so the fact there is air in the lines. I still haven't really tested the systme out yet either so how knows.
Im still around, finally working again.

Thats an interesting reason to want a 2nd gan MC.....to fit your pressure bleeder. Gotta have your priorities right. he he :) For what its worth....I dont use pressure bleeders. If you arent careful they can aerate the brake fluid (even if it looks free of bubbles) and introduce air into the system. I stopped using speedbleeders as well and went back to a modified 2-man bleed system. Its more involved, but is MUCH more thorough, accurate and repeatable.

Whenever you remove large components of the brake system you run the risk of lots of air to purge. It can be a pain. Thats one thing...the other is (if all seems to be as it looks) you have the calipers and the MC sizes mismatched and all the bleeding and special brake pads in the world wont help that. So far *every* 1st gen with modified brakes I have helped with or touched myself has had mismatched components.

Heres a question....whats the piston volume of the millennia calipers compared to the 1st gen calipers? Not sure?....thats the problem right there. PM me if you want more details.

Is it me or does the rear of the car look too low, or is that an optical illusion from the body kit?

Gavin

1 - 20 of 25 Posts