Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I researched and i think i found out for '93 models the stock rim offset is +42? well.. im planning on getting 17x7's and the ofset is 48.. does that mean they wont fit or will stick out?? help!

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
A higher offset number means you will have less room for tires - the tires will be tucked 6mm further under the wheel wells. So you'll have 6mm less room for your tires with those rims. This means you may have to get a skinnier tire (i.e. 205 instead of 215). Lower offset number means more room for tires.

Note this only applies to cars with positive offset. Some RWD cars have negative offset, so everything I said would be complete opposite.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Take a look at this picture, that should clear things up. Read my first post again. The larger the offset, the more the tire will be tucked under the fenders. You would only have the tires "stick out" if you had less than 42mm offset. You have the opposite problem., the tires will be tucked further under the wheelwell.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im being told different things. so my wheels wont be sticking out, they will be more "in" right? but doesnt that mean my handling will become worse because wheels will be closer together?. And then how do i know i will have space left for the brakes and wheels wont interfere with them?. Another thing, im being told that offset is the depth of the lip, or the larger the offset, the more they will stick out..

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
You need to look at the picture above and study it. Whoever is telling you that higher offset means rims stick out is wrong. I've explained this multiple times and you just don't seem to understand....

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
By definition, "offset" is the distance from the mounting surface of the wheel to the "middle" (aka centerline) of the wheel.

E.G. You have a wheel that's 200 mm wide. The "middle" of the wheel (or centerline, "CL" in Magik's pic) would be 100 mm from the front and 100 mm from the rear.

If the mounting surface (where the wheel attaches to the rotor/drum) was in the "middle" of the wheel there would be 0 (zero) offset.

As the mounting surface is moved closer to the face of the wheel (aka the "outside") the offset becomes "Positive". As the mounting surface is moved toward the "inside" of the wheel the offset becomes "Negative".

Since the mounting surface moves one way, the entire wheel, when mounted, moves the other way. A wheel with 48 mm positive offset (the mounting surface is 48 mm from the centerline of the wheel, toward the face) will sit under the car more (aka "tucked in").

A wheel with 48 mm negative offset (the mounting surface is 48 mm from the centerline of the wheel, toward the back) will sit less under the car (aka "sticking out").

Therefore a wheel with a 42 mm positive offset (42 mm + offset) will "stick out" more than one with 48 mm positive (48 mm + offset).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts