Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sat. morning, I plan on going to get some new 18's for my car and I was wondering if any of you guys could help a fellow 6er. Exactly what size tires are you guys running with stock suspension setup.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
you'd have to run a smaller size then stock probably since its such a big tire, maybe some nice low-pros?

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
How much do you know about tires?

Read this if you have any questions. They explain things pretty well at tirerack.

Tire size is all about compromise and what you want from the car. Different sizes affect ride in different ways.

Use a 215/35/18 if you want to be the closest to stock diameter. This will help your speedometer to be accurate but it will leave you with thin sidewalls and make for a rougher but better performing ride.

Using a 215/40/18 or even a 225/40/18 will give you more sidewall and make for a slightly more comfortable ride. It will also make the tire diameter slightly larger than stock and throw the speedo off by a few mph. Not a big deal as I believe it actually makes the speed given by the speedometer lower. (53 instead of 55 for example).

I would not go any wider than 225. As a matter of fact, I plan on getting some 225/40/18's for my next set of wheels.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
chef you always have the answers!!! Whats the winning lottery numbers ;) Isnt 18's the biggest size you are suppose to put on before you have to mess with your suspension?

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Thanks man, I try. :p I wouldn't go any bigger than 18 on an mx6 unless you have a body kit. 18's even look too big sometimes.

Personally, I have gone back and forth too many times to count about whether I want 17's or 18's.

Pros of 18's:

Smaller profile tire = better handling response
They look nice on a lowered mx6 if they are not too flashy
18x8 is standard size wheel

Cons:

they are heavier than 17's
tires are more expensive
the wrong diameter will throw off your speedometer

Pros of 17's:

Lighter than 18's
Smaller diameter = no speedo problems if you get the right tire size

Cons:

They don't fill the wheel well as much as 18's
standard size seems to be 17x7

I am still undecided but I will probably give 18's a shot sometime. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Im just undecided on rims altogether lol. Wont put any one till i put my mazdaspeed kit on. Trying to get the interior finished before i hit the exterior although i might be picking up a set of nice jspec folding mirrors next week if everything goes right!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea I know,dont really like the gap between wells and not too fond of coilovers and lowering springs. 18s do well with the gap thing and I gotta admit that I love my 17s thats on now but I guess you have to compromise one or the other(looks over functions) kind of like a girl....lol

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
^If you're not a big fan of coilovers or lowering springs then definetly get 17s. 18s will clean up your wheel gap more but, at the same time your car will look more 4x4ish and you dont want that especially if youre at stock height now. Just my 2 cents mang!

·
Registered
939 Posts
weaksauce is corect on that one.. on stock ride height you literally feel like you are flying 4x4. if you get 18s i would highly recomend getting some springs. if not new struts too.

as far as tire size goes. on 18s, you will get slight rub with 225/45 , but there are a couple people who have gone 235/40. i personally will be going 225/40

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chef, whats a good price for a set of Tockico Blues setup, approximately, how much was yours( ballpark) . I got a quote for Monroe Sensatrac, and its $975.00 installed. Sounds too much? Not really trying to get raped because the money I save can go into the other necessary things for my 6. Im gonna stay with my 17's jus new tires. My old factory struts jus murdered my use to be new tires.lol so i need struts and alignment. thats what the 975 was for.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
The price really depends on what also needs to be replaced when they replace the struts. I bought my blues from here.

Probe Addiction

My most recent suspension rebuild ended up costing me over a thousand dollars ($1500). I didn't have time to do the work myself and I needed fresh strut mounts all around as well as new lower control arms and a passenger side axle assembly. I bought all the parts myself and it was just a labor intensive job to pay the shop to do for me.

If you are going to replace the struts, have your strut mounts checked out. They make a big difference in handling.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea, i bought new strut mount plates, bellows, boots, the whole kit and kaboodle. only thing is everybody with 6s have Tockico Blues, I am getting Monroe Sensatrac, is it that big a difference? where can I get coilovers other than ebay.. they can make me weiry...Had a war story told to me froma friend about those coilovers, dont wanna make the same mistake he did...

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
I don't know anything about monroe shocks. Tokico blues are designed to be used on lowered vehicles so they have a few differences from stock replacement struts.

I personally don't like coilovers unless you go out and spend over a thousand dollars on them. Cheap coilovers will give your car a cheap ride.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Chef is right. Tokico blues do work a little better on lowered vehicles. You dont really have to spend over a grand to have a decent "coilover" setup. Pick up some Tokico blues or Tokico Illuminas (5 way adjustable IIRC) and some Ground Control coilovers.(Threaded sleeve with spring that slips over your strut). Stay away from the 50 dollar ebay sleeves. The ground controls will run you around 350-400 bucks and the springs they come with are Eibach ERS, IIRC (Legit springs for sure). Then all you need is some struts. Throw it together and you have a decently adjustable setup and it will ride very nice. I dont recommend that you lower alot over stock though. Strut travel will get killed if you dump it. Youll learn to love the adjustability and the ride pitch mang!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Chef, whats a good price for a set of Tockico Blues setup, approximately, how much was yours( ballpark) . I got a quote for Monroe Sensatrac, and its $975.00 installed. Sounds too much? Not really trying to get raped because the money I save can go into the other necessary things for my 6. Im gonna stay with my 17's jus new tires. My old factory struts jus murdered my use to be new tires.lol so i need struts and alignment. thats what the 975 was for.
If you do the work yourself you will have 400 dollars pocket change...but you have to do the work yourself. I payed around $500 for my tokico blues and $150 for my Megan Racing springs. I highly recommend doing it yourself, but if you don't feel comfortable then don't do it. This kind of installation can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing and don't have the confidence to do it. If you can afford it, I would go with the adjustable Tokico Lluminas. But you can't go wrong with Tokico blues, they are really great struts.

*EDIT* Okay didn't see weaksauce's post the white adjustable Tokico struts are called the Lluminas....

·
Registered
169 Posts
good lookin out chef

Chef, how can I get more reputation points on here.. I help people all the time and still cant get my rep up. Is there a tutorial on how to do strut yourself? I would do it myself to save the cash, but I dont have a clue where to start

thanks to everybody for the help

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Lol, rep points just come in time. Keep being helpful. :tup:

Changing struts is not too hard but if you want to do springs at the same time it will be more complicated.

I have never personally installed struts on my car but I would venture a guess and say that you jack the car up, support it properly, take the wheels off, remove the lower bolts on the struts, remove the strut mount bolts, remove the worn struts, remove the strut mounts (if you are replacing them), and reinstall the new struts in the reverse order.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts