Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering picking up the stock alloy rims (14") and throw out the stock steel rims (14"). Does anyone know the difference in weight? Should I anticipate any handling improvement?

I just bought new tires, so getting larger rims isn't an option, just wondering if the alloy/steel swap would help.

thanks peeps!

·
Registered
167 Posts
The stock alloy rims are 15" so the tyres have a lower profile, and they are alot wider as well (6 or 6.5" compared to 5.5"??). So you will need to get new tyres for them anyway.

I did this a few months ago, and it does make a really noticeable difference to handling, especially in the wet.
You get alot less oversteer going around corners in the wet, and less torque steer accelerating. And It's also harder to spin the tyres taking off.
You also stop quicker, and it's harder to lock the wheels up braking hard.

I think that the alloys are a bit heavier, the tyres are also heavier, but I don't know by how much.

It's definately worth doing, it's the 1st thing I did after doing an advanced driving course, and realising how utterly crap the stock tyres are.
Your tyres and the size of their contact area with the road is the single most important factor when it comes to handling and braking IMHO.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmmm....

I've seen what I thought were alloy rims that are 14", maybe they were steel also?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
The LX had 14" alloys sometimes. The GT had th 15"ers. The difference in wieght depends on which rim you buy.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks -

Panik / Anti - thanks for the info. Yeah, I shoulda held out a while and bought the rims and tires together... i was too impatient and needed the rubber sooner.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts