Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have success in mounting a roof rack on their 6? This car has very small roof profile. In addition I have a sunroof on mine, so I don't know if there are any racks out there that won't get in the way of the sunroof. I've checked with Thule and Yakima websites and both of them state there are "fit kits" available to get a rack on the MX6...anybody tried with success?

--------------------------
97 MX6 LS V6 in Blackberry

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mountain biking...

....because I'm an avid mountain biker! I guess I can go for a trunk or a hitch rack, but they are a pain in the a** in their own right.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Roof racks can look kinda cool but I've never seen one on a 6. Forget about a roof rack if u have a sunroof. I explained it more on your other post.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Dude! You have a trunk big enough to put at least 3 dead bodies into!!!! Why do you need a rack? Have you tried to fit your bike in there? You might be surprised.

·
Registered
475 Posts
a bike isn't gonna fit. even if u take it apart it'll be a close fit.
Is that how they rate the size of trunks now? By dead bodies? or do u just know from experience. LOL. What about live bodies?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I mountain bike a tonne and I've never had any problems putting my bike in, 40% seat down and away I go. Maybe you're a lot bigger and have a 23in+ frame or something but I've gone away on weekend to baseball tournaments with all the ball gear, bike gear and weekend stuff and still enough room for one of my subs in the back.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't know about the 2nd Gen's but a bike does fit in the 1st Gen's. I just remove the front tire and put the seats down. It's tight, but works for me...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey people,

thanks for the feedback. I'm sure my bike can fit in the trunk with the seats folded down, but I also plan to have about 3 cu.ft worth of subwoofer box there, so somethings gotta give. plus when I ride...I do really dirty up the bike (not to mention myself)...so I don't really like putting a dirty bike into a clean car.

I guess the best thing to do is goto a rack dealer and see if any racks fit w/o getting in the way of the sunroof. It'll probably get in the way...in that case...I must sacarfice...and NO...I'm NOT going give up mountaing biking!

·
Registered
358 Posts
THULE!!!

xavior said:
Anybody have success in mounting a roof rack on their 6? This car has very small roof profile. In addition I have a sunroof on mine, so I don't know if there are any racks out there that won't get in the way of the sunroof. I've checked with Thule and Yakima websites and both of them state there are "fit kits" available to get a rack on the MX6...anybody tried with success?
Yes! I highly recommend a Thule rack with the appropriate fit kit and short roof adapter. All the info can be found in this old thred! (Should have done a search on Roof racks eh?)
http://www.mx6.com/board/showthread.php3?threadid=346

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice...

Very nice Mike,

Looks like I'm gonna go with the Thule rack then...but sheez....pricing does seem a bit high (looks like a grand canadian)...must search for it used then.

I'm still begging one question....can you still open the sunroof all the way?...doesn't look like it from your pics.

Oh...nice ride btw....for both the bike and the car :)

Doug

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks for the comments xavior. The sunroof does open about 2/3 of the way before it starts to rub the rear bar. Good luck and ride hard :cool:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you in vancouver?

hey mike,

are you in vancouver? I'll be moving out there in a couple of months. do you guys have a decent mx6 club out there? how about good mazda mechanics and fitters there?

doug

·
Registered
357 Posts
allworldkj said:
a bike isn't gonna fit. even if u take it apart it'll be a close fit.
Is that how they rate the size of trunks now? By dead bodies? or do u just know from experience. LOL. What about live bodies?
actually, that is how my peeps and i rate trunk size... i have personally fit 3 LIVE bodies in my trunk.. more than enough room. you can actually fit 5 dead bodies in a 6 trunk. the diff. is that live bodies have pain and can't move certain ways to maximize space. dead bodies won't scream and bones are more easily broken. :)

have fun trying!

p.s. my next trunk measurement is the lincoln towncar... daaaamn.. heh heh

·
Registered
358 Posts
Welcome to Vancouver

Hey xavior,

Yes, I'm actually in Richmond (just south of Vancouver)! We have just started a club here, and it's growing fast! We just had our 1st meet 2 weeks ago - 2 mx6's showed up along with about 25 probes. Check out my website at http://members.home.com/micyoung/bcpoc.html for more info and photos. Let me know as soon as you get here, and I'll add you to the club. I'd love to check out you're MX-6, and what you've done with your system (I'm trying to decide what to do with my subwoofers too).

Although I haven't been to any yet, I know that there are some good mazda mechanics and fitters here, since this is where ASword has had his '93 ProbeGT turboed, and Monster Probe GT got his veilside kit done.

I don't know if you're aware, but Vancouver's north shore mountains are often reguarded as having some of the worlds best mountain biking terrain. I think you're gonna like it here :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Mike,

Yup...when I came last time to van, I did a ride through some parts of North Shore...pretty hardcore stuff I must say.

I should be coming to van late May...so I'll give you a holler when I get there. My email is [email protected], what's yours?

BTW, you use the short roof adapter with you rack, is it necessary?..or can I get away without using it?

Doug

·
Registered
358 Posts
My email is [email protected]

I think you'd be much better off with a short roof adapter. If you don't use one, the 2 bars can only be a maximum of about 40cm apart (distance across the top of the door windows), so the bike racks would stick out behind the back bar a few extra feet and might be unstable. You could always try it first without the SR adapter to see how it is, since it is easy to add on later.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Trunk-mounted bike racks

Hopefully this will save somebody a little time, but I've looked into three brands: Yakima, Thule, and Saris. Here are the models that fit 2nd gen MX-6's as reported by their respective websites.

Yakima: Mighty Joe and Mo Joe

Thule: Speedway #961

Saris: Guardian 3 1047P, Bones 805 (2 bike), and Bones 801 (3 bike)

I was able to buy a Mighty Joe for $80...

·
Registered
324 Posts
yeah i have a roff i take off and on, fits gets fine i did not get a short roof adapter, well i got i do not use it. it came off my grand am but clips work just fine. i use it for skiing and mt. biking.

i would sugest a wind graud cuts out a lot of noise

i would not get a trunk mount i have a lot of problems with those

i use my rack and sun roof it just barley fits but it does. nothing beats comeing back from the mountains after a good ride with it open and the windoes down

GirlRacer said:
Dude! You have a trunk big enough to put at least 3 dead bodies into!!!! Why do you need a rack? Have you tried to fit your bike in there? You might be surprised.
i would but sytem lol

i will see if i have an picture laying around- does not look to bad, not the ricer look that some go for. but kinda of a outdoors sporty if that makes sense. plus around here a lot of people have racks. see them on everything yoou name i bet i have seen it.

i got mine at Performance bike shop http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile_combo.cfm?SKU=2386&estore_ID=&subcategory_ID=4410&CFID=40742858&CFTOKEN=33759852

it is an xoprt rack but a very good rack for a good price 179.99 for the basic rack and two bike mounts

1 - 20 of 22 Posts