Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everybody. im andrew...first time poster, but ive been reading all of your posts for about a month now. anyways ive got a couple questions for all of you gurus. first off, ive got an 89 dx(atx).. blew the motor..so now im looking for a motor swap. lucky for me, i totalled my bmw 325is a couple months ago so im about to get that insurance check and will have some money to play with. Now i would definitely go with the fe-3...but due to lack of availability in my area i cannot find one anywhere(it would be a God-send if someone close knows where to get one), so im going with the f2t motor/tranny. this sucks cause i have an automomatic and have to due that conv. also, but its just something ive gotta do. to make a long post somewhat shorter id like to know what some of you would do if you had the amount of play money that i have... i will have about $1500usd after the motor/tranny which i am paying a ridiculous 900 for just the motor from the local recycler. i am new to the 6 but have been working on cars for about 2 years now. i probably wont do the swap myself because of lack of experience with the platform, but i just might since ive never been one to back down from a challenge. ive been reading your posts for a while and im in awe of how knowledgeable you guys are with this stuff, so any feedback would be much appreciated. thanks guys for all the knowledge youve given me so far, i look forward to becoming a part of the clan:D

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hello and welcome to the boards!

I'm pretty sure I'm not gona be the only one to say this and dont wana be a PITA, but I would suggest u ditch the ATX and learn how to drive stick. I don't think the AT from the dx is gona hold up to the F2T plus they are a lot more fun to drive and last longer. I might suggest u find a donor car for that money and start working your way up slowly. For 900 u should be able to get a parts car no problem.

Gl with everything!

P.S. Too bad you don't live closer I'm looking to replace mine

P.S.S. You should also get a Repair manual for the car if u are going to be doing any work yourself it has lotsa great info that u can learn from!!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
He is swapping the motor and tranny, he said so in his post.
Anyways, welcome to the board. I too would either find a parts car to use for the parts or I would go myself to a junkyard and find a motor/tranny. Around here I could go pull a motor and tranny combo for like $200, and there are 2 complete motor/tranny's here. Blown motors I think though b/c the car wasn't wrecked.
None-the-less, with $1500 after motor and tranny, I would do all maintenance stuff, like plugs, wires, disty cap/rotor, especially with the engine out. Replace ALL hoses and while you have the tranny out I'd have the axles checked out and re-booted just for the safety of knowing they are good. You will need the GT's axles and spindles too when you do the tranny swap with the engine. Lets just say that would all cost $500, that would still leave you $1000.
Next I'd get a filter adapter and cone filter, then either 2.5" or 3" turbo-back exhaust with a high flow cat. Since you are in Cali you have to deal with emmissions. Guages are a must for the turbo GT. At least invest in a boost gauge and air/fuel gauge. On the stuff in this paragraph you will probably spend $650 of the $1000 you had left. Still have $350.
With that, if you feel confident about your engine, buy a manual boost controller for like $50 and turn up the boost some. If you want to go over 12psi you will need a chip from ZombieSS, www.injecttech.com or something like that. I think the chip is like $80 or so.
You still have $250 left, and I hear the cam regrinds by Crower are well worth the money; $80. With the left over $175 or so maybe look into a DSM bypass valve from a junkyard, and maybe some better intercooler piping.
This is just what I would do if I was you, what you may do is up to you. That was just my suggestion.
Whatever you do, have fun.

·
Registered
48 Posts
¿donde?

i seached the performance for a place to get the fe-3, as well as ebay and many other engine importers that i found with a search engine. no luck:mad: . i also checked the junk yard but to my dismay, many 6's, but no gt's. damn my lluck. well anyways thanks for the info guys. oh and if anyone has any 411 on a FS fe3 motor let me know please. thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
by the way this is the same person as MsilverDX6... for some reason my cookies arent working and it wont let me sign in...

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Welcom to the boards.

Depeneding on howmuch money you have to play with. This is what I would do:

Get a GT, it will be better because you wont have to do atx to mtx conversion, and it already has the F2T.

here is one that is about 65 miles away from you for $2195:

1990 MAZDA MX-6 5spd., air conditioning, CC, tilt, AM/FM Cass., full power, power steering, power windows, PL, alloys, moonroof. #203097, RS MOTORS, $2195, 510-528-9153

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/...&advanced=n&start_year=1988&color=&cardist=65

Then if you have enough loot left see what you can do about FE3 as a drop in. You will have to lose the turbo, unless you get someone to make a custom setup for it. I would definately try to get that done. You can keep your tranny as the F2T tranny can handle fe3 power.

If you look at the numbers it isnt that bad. 2195 for the car FE3 for about $750 (for some reason i remember that that is shipped price, but it seems to low). Or you could wait and get used to the f2t and mod it before you go fe3.

Also I would look for a cheaper gt, with good maintenance.

just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I would strongly recommend finding a used MTX GT and saving the hassle. Dropping in the f2t to the DX and swapping the motor, transmission, axles, hubs, ECU and wiring, etc, etc is not going to be an easy job, and you will need a donor car to get parts from, not just the motor. You will need a mazda factory service manual for the wiring diagrams as there are many differences between DX/LX, GT, 88-89, and 90-92 electrical systems. It will likely take you weeks to get the car up and running. $1500 is not going to last long either if you're replacing all that stuff.

As for the cookies, try logging in on the main page (www.mx6.com) in the upper right hand corner of the forum list. The vbulletin software this board is currently running has a bug that will only let you log in this way if your cookies are not active.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
If you had searched the for sale forum, under suppliers, you would see my thread about me having access to FE3's for $600+shipping. I can get about 6-8 every month. I won't even get the first shipment in until mid-December and I already have those 6 sold, so unless someone backs out I won't have any more until January.
I had seen a 1st gen GT, ATX unfortunately, with 92K on it for $1000 a few weeks ago. Looked to be in great condition, said everything worked (I wasn't interested in buying it so I just looked but did not call the guy). If you have time I would say wait too b/c they do pop up once in a while.
I do have an F2T for sale for $150, but no turbo or manifold or harness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts