Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 93 mazda mx-6 2.0 automatic that has a reaccuring stalling and rough idle problem. I took it in a month ago to have it fixed because it was starting but then dying when I backed it out the driveway. The mechanic fixed it so it would run but it still had a rough idle. Now a month and a half later it has simular problem. Now it will run only if I have one foot on the brake and one on the gas or it will die instantly. I took it back to the mechanic and he says it the idle speed control valve . Is he right and does anybody know how much this part costs?. SCmazda

·
Registered
776 Posts
My sister has a '93 Ls and her's sounds like the same story. The mechanic replaced a valve or a hose (can't recall) and the problem was fixed. I have a '96 LS and my car was idling back and forth and even sometimes stalling out. But then I started fillin up with premium gasoline (i did use regular (stupid me)). Also, probably put some fuel injector cleaner in your gas tank right before you fill up.

Hope this helps.

ADJ

·
Registered
148 Posts
rough idle and fluctuating idle

There is a little thing on the top of your engine by the valve cover called the idle control valve.. that is what adjusts your idle... mine just recently started acting up so I am takeing it off to clean it... in some cases that is all you need to do because the little valve that is inside it gets stuck open.. if it just totally goes out then you must replace it and it is a dealer item only and costs around 350$ from Mazda... so cleaning it would be a good start to try....

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
i have the identical mx6 - 93 4cyl auto.

i had a rough idle problem, although i know what caused mine.. stupid incident with a garden hose heh.

anyway - clean your throttle body, clean the idle control valve as someone else mentioned...

replace your fuel filter (14.99 at pep boys! :)

if its do for a spark plug change, try that...

these are all the really cheap quick anbd easy things you can do.

mine was due for a tune up so i went ahead and replaced the air filter, dist cap and rotor, and plug wires as well.

good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts