Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I'm a newbie here and need some help. I just bought a 1990 MX-6 GT and the idle is real rough. The place I bought it from gave it a tune up and oil change. I took it to a mechanic in my neighborhood and told me something about the head gaskets might be bad. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
934 Posts
idle probs

My idle was pretty rough, changed the usual suspects and it helped: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, O2 sensor, new air filter. All relatively inexpensive fixes....

Next up I'm considering replacement of the injectors. Though I've heard that engine mounts in MX-6s can be a problem, anyone agree?

·
Registered
405 Posts
yes i do belive the engine mounts on 90& up were built better to correct this problem. i have the same problem, but none of the usual fixes took care of the problem.

i know someone is going to tell you to check this, so i may as well be the one. the tube that runs from your mass air sensor (air filter) to the throttle body cracks in the grooves. this creates alot of bad idles for people. if it is cracked, you can buy a new one ($40 from Dealer), or repair it yourself with rtv.

·
Registered
73 Posts
the engine mounts go soft I've had to replace the front mount and will be swapping the top gearbox or firewall one as soon as I work out which one is in worst condition.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What do your mean running bad?? There's verious forms of running bad. If it idling low that try turning up your idler, (visa versa if it's idling high).

·
Registered
405 Posts
if it is an auto, they have two differnt idles. one for park and neutral. then one for being in gear. the problem is when it is idleing in gear, the idle is to low. if you adjust the idler, then you just change the park and neutral. thus no change for the problem.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
rought Idle

I have the same problem on my 626, 1990

I recommand you to clean your Intake with some stuff like:

Klenflo, Air intake cleaner

1- Pull out the oze from the air box too your Intake
2- Put the Air Intake cleaner in, you can use a theet brush too clean the deposit. Put all the bottle.
3- Replace the oze
4- Start your engine ( it may take some time before the engine starts ).

If you need more info mail me

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the same problem with my 88 mx-6, it took me a while to figure out the rough idle, it seems that these cars have an idle speed sensor, if this is bad your car will run bad at idle, in fact before I fixed mine, every time i would come to a stop and the rpms would drop the engine light would come on, the rpms would drop to about 300 and then it would shutter and catch itself before it died out, I hope this helps out, it worked for my car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Idle ajustmen

89MX6GTRACER said:
What do your mean running bad?? There's verious forms of running bad. If it idling low that try turning up your idler, (visa versa if it's idling high).
Your engines computer is smart so it will adjust itself for the adjustment you make on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts