Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a 94 ls and the shifting is a little rough. I was just wondering if this was normal or what I could to to fix it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Shane333 said:
ok i have a 94 ls and the shifting is a little rough. I was just wondering if this was normal or what I could to to fix it.
Rough like how? Rough like it grinds when you shift, or like the car kind kicks back at you? If it grinds you might wanna look at changing your tranny fluid to GM syncromesh (GM dealer) BG syncroshift (Mitsubishi dealer) or Redline MT90. If this isn't your case then you might wanna look at replacing / filling / Rafi inserts your engine mounts. This should help alot with your shifting and acceleration too.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its rough like its hard to hit gears and i have to use a lot of force. there isn't any grinding though.

·
Registered
734 Posts
How much play is there in your shifter? ( how much does move left to right while in gear) If there's alot of play in the shifter then sometimes it gets really notchy like what you're experiencing right now. But then again it could be the cold, or it could be your tranny fluid as well... All these things will kinda give the same effect.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have the same problem. I don't know if this will fix it yet but I've come to the conclusion That i'm either going to get Rafi's STS kit to tighten things up, or since it will take like 3 weeks yet before you can order from him (vacation) I might just go to the dealer and get the Bushings. Im convinced this will help prevent play and guide the shifter better.

I can't find the part # right now but when i do I'll put it on here.

{edit} - I believe the part # is 46-062A. I am not completely positive, but if you go to Mazda and have them pull up a diagram on their computer, it will be a number similar to this and will point to TWO round (washer like) bushings. This is the part.

Chris

·
Registered
428 Posts
I just recently had my CM stage 1 clutch installed and when my mechanic put it in, he also put gear lube on the transmission. This prevented the rough shifts almost 90% of the time. That is the solution to your problem. However i am still going to get the bushings as hopes to completely fixing the problem.

Chris

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
SportZ114 said:
I just recently had my CM stage 1 clutch installed and when my mechanic put it in, he also put gear lube on the transmission. This prevented the rough shifts almost 90% of the time. That is the solution to your problem. However i am still going to get the bushings as hopes to completely fixing the problem.

Chris
where on the transmition did he put gear lube?

·
Registered
428 Posts
You know, im no positive it almost seems like it would have to be Tranny fluid, but i hope he didn't just put normal gear lube in my tranny, I put Redline MT-90 in last Summer. However it does feel smoother, Hmm.. Does anyone else know of a way to smooth a shift with gear lube without using trannsmission fluid?

Chris

·
Registered
600 Posts
i heard good things about GM syncromesh (GM dealer) BG syncroshift (Mitsubishi dealer) and not so good things about Redline MT and Royal Purple, on probetalk.com. As a matter of fact, the best one, they say, is BG syncroshift. But since it's really hard to find that stuff here in Canada, and I'm little lazy to go to Detroit to look for that stuff...i'm just gonna try that GM sycromesh, since it's not expensive. I called today, and it's gonna cost me like $30-35 Canadian dollars for 3 Liters of that fluid.
When i change it, i'll let you know about the difference, since i have the same problem when shifting...and also that play in the shifter (i know this won't go away once i change the fluid :) )

·
Registered
734 Posts
SportZ114 said:
Does anyone else know of a way to smooth a shift with gear lube without using trannsmission fluid?

I don't know what you mean by gear lube? The purpose of tranny fluid is to "lube" the gears while you drive so there is less friction and better shifting conditions. The only other way that you could really improve your shifting without changing the TYPE of fluid you use is to

1) Check the engine mounts
2) Check the play in the shifter
3) Change the syncros in the tranny

Those are the three things you can do besides the tranny fluid

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
i put redline MT-90 in last summer, cost me $45CAN for 3 litres.. Made shifting alot smoother... if you dont like the notchiness definatly dont get a shortshifter!! I bought a PRD, and its still smooth shifting due to the Redline fluid, but its fairly notchy getting into 2nd gear, everyone who drives my car comments on that!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts