Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

RPM on a 96 MX-6 LS

4K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  PaulG 
#1 ·
Hi everybody, I'm new here and I just bought a 96 MX-6 LS. I was just wondering what the RPM should be at 100 Km/h with the 5 speed V6? I find mine high compared to my MPV 5 speed automatic.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Hi and welcome ..

I would hazzard a guess of about 2500-3000, sorry dont use kph here bud.

Feel free to drop into the Canadian section and say hi, and ask there, i'm sure the guys will let you know. The 6 is a high reving motor for the speed. i know 85-90 MPH would read about 3750-4000

#8 ·
it's a mx6 tranny i had a reciet saying that was installed my old ZE i've raced my brother in his ZE PGT.. his gear box is alot stronger in lower gears mean while the 6 gear ratios are different. i've also raced him top end & the 6 tranny serpasses the PGT tranny.. but odd you already know this ;) my tranny boggs in very low rpms mean while his grabs very nicely in low gears.. right now i'm in my 97 & it does the samething in low gears boggs abit..

#11 · (Edited)
if you took a KLDE car and swapped in a KLZE and nothing else changed... Nothing at all... the speed won't change one bit. sorry but it will not.

#15 ·
The kph signal comes from the gearbox, and will not matter what size wheels you have fitted. Thats why you need to ensure you get the circumrence as close as possible when fitting larger rims and dessing them with the proper sized wall tyres .. 15=55 16=50 17=45 .. There are calculators on the net and some alloy wheel sites to help you obtain the nearest figure to stock.
I think you will find that 17's on a 45 are just a little above the stated speed on the dash, and 40's are below the stated speed.

#17 ·
Bud, the size of tyre will not affect the speedometer, only the actual physical speed. The Speedometer gets its readings from the gearbox sensor, of which is a gear reading how many times its spins multiplied by the selected driving gear, thats whats outputted to the end of the axles and to the wheels.. what the wheels do with it then is out of the control of the speedometer.

here you go .. a good second opinion link :tup:

#18 ·
Ok im drunk leave me alone :)

#21 ·
I have a 5spd auto in my mpv also, and I only wish my rpms were that low on the highway in the 6.

Also, keep in mind that the stock tach is inaccurate on the 6, to the tune of almost 200 rpm on my car when near 4k rpm. I have a scan tool connected to my obd2 that has an rpm readout and even at idle it's almost 100 rpm off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.