Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

i'm getting a low rumbling noise when accelerating hard in 2nd gear and higher (3,4,5). It seems to be coming from the front but I can't be certain where. could this be a CV joint? worse? it's slightly more pronounces when accelerating through a corner but I can't be sure.

any suggestions as to what this might be?

-spish:freak:

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
what about when turning/cornering... and also in first gear...

is it just a noise or can you feel it in the car too?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can definitely feel it in the car, there's a vibration there for sure. after a drive last night i paid closer attention to it and i'm pretty sure it's slightly louder when cornering. the noise/vibration is almost silent in 1st gear.

-spish:freak:

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
the fact that it doesnt do it in first gear makes me think transmission. all others are constants. its possible that there is enough axle torque in first gear that the part(s) dont resonate.

when your in first gear, does it do it more when youre slightly on the pedal or at full throttle?

if you let someone drive your car, while you sit shotgun, can you feel it more in the passenger seat than the drivers? can you hear wether its coming from the right or left? what about reverse?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a similar problem that I have been trying to solve since last summer. I have one new reman. cv half shaft, one rebuilt w/ new boot, new struts (but not mounts/bearings), and I have been checking for loose/worn suspension components for a long time and still not found any. I have worn rear stabilizer bushings that I am planning to replace soon, but my sound is definitely from the front.

Recently I had my mechanic drive while I was sitting shotgun. We took it on the highway and couldn't get the sound, then when we were in the parking lot, we put it in first gear, cut the wheel tight, and accelerated hard and could hear it very clearly. The sound most definitely can be made in 2 and 3 gear too if you accelerate hard enough (and not abusively either). It's hard to describe the noise, but it is a series of creaking/clunking/clicking sounds (low pitched) from the front of the car (I think from the front driver's side). You absolutely can feel it when it makes the noise, but if you drive the car kindly it won't make the noise. Once in a while I can hear it while driving straight over bumpy roads, while the strut assembly is rebounding. My mechanic thought it could be in the transmission and perhaps just in the limits of the design, rather than an actual problem, but I suspect it is something in the suspension somewhere.

I have checked out my struts, mounts, control arms, steering gear, etc for tightness. I have the fairly new/rebuilt cv's that I have had checked by two mechanics who said they were fine. New struts all around. My engine is slightly higher power/torque than stock, but not pushing the limits of the suspension components. I still wonder if the steering gear/rack and pinion could be the problem as the sound is felt mostly through the steering wheel during hard acceleration while turning. I don't think it is the strut mount thrust bearing because I can't get it to make noise while sitting still and turning the wheels. I have had a recently four wheel alignment and all new brake calipers as well as hardware and rotor regrinds. That rules out quite a lot and leaves me wondering about the transmission and steering gear.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope all the detail will help someone diagnose this problem that I suspect many people are having with no definite explanation. Thanks for any help people can give.

Any suggestions on more items to check and how to check/what to look for in those?

·
Registered
96 Posts
hey man, I've been having this exact same problem! no mechanic I have taken it to (incl dealership) has been able to properly diagnose it. Add me to msn, This has been bothering me for AGES!!!

[email protected]

FYI - I really really think it's the strut mount (drivers side) for my problem. I will swapping that out when I replace my struts with aftermarket and will keep you informed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm going to try to check out my strut mount today. I really hope that's it...much cheaper/easier to install than a new steering gear.

Update: Checked the struts mounts: Look fine visually, no looseness/dry rot or anything like that. I grabbed the springs and rotated back and forth and they moved freely to the extent I could rotate the springs. I turned the wheels back and forth while sitting still and on the ground and no noises there.

But... I lifted each wheel, one at a time, and locked the steering. When I grasped the wheels and shook them back and forth the passenger side had some play and I could make it sort of click back and forth (quietly). I saw the tie rod moving with the motion about 1/4in (not loosely, but sort of deflecting with the load). I also noticed torn ball joint boots, but the looseness and click came from the top. It also came from the steering gear end, not the tie rod end where it attaches to the hub. Perhaps I do have a loose steering gear, or a misadjusted tie rod (one turn out) from the last alignment I had (I suspect that they never even adjusted the tie rods during the alignment since the car was not really out of alignment to start with). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think its the inner tie rod end for anyone who might actually be following my conversation with myself here. I think I am going to change it myself one of these days.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been Chasing the same noise for almost a year as well. After everything said and done it still makes the same noise and all I've got left to replace is the strut mounts and inner tierod ends (might as well put in a new rack:freak: )

·
Registered
800 Posts
Anyone tried replacing the:idea: motor mounts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't think its the motor mounts.. I've got a similar problem.. Rumbling noise, a lil vibration.. I know my driver cv is bout gone. Hub/wheel bearing maybe? Tie rod? Control arm?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts