Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my tailpipes, there seems to be a black layer of residue there. I have been reading a little bit about running rich or running lean but Im still not sure about my car. Does this residue mean anything or tell me anything? also I believe there is generally too much white colored smoke coming out of the exhaust at any given time. Can any of you highly experienced dudes who know a shit load about these cars possibly shine some light on this??

thx

G

·
Some black soot is normal, that's just carbon from burned gas. Too much carbon (like black spots on your driveway) indicates rich condition, no carbon at all indicates a lean condition. The white smoke you see may just be water vaper from the natural process of combustion and the catalyst. Take a smell, if it smells like exhaust it most likely just water vapor, if its sweet then you've got coolant leaking into the cylinder, if its dark and choking and maybe bluish, then its oil. Mine does the same as yours, but runs fine. However, if you want a more acurate check, pull the spark plugs cause they will tell you worlds about the condition of your engine. You heard the saying "a picture tells a thousand words", well think of your plugs as a picture. Depending on coloration, wear, buildup, etc, you will quickly learn how the engine is running.

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:)

intresting, thanks for the words of advise

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts