Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My new ZE runs well, but the exhaust is very sooty and smells of gas. It is consuming fuel at an alarming rate, but I don't yet have enough miles to have a
handle on that. It is bad enough that I'm worried about the fuel washing the upper cylinders and leading to ring and bore wear.

I'm going to check the thermostat, but the temp guage is reading normal. I wonder if the coolant temp sender on the ZE is sending a different signal that my stock ECU is reacting to by adding fuel. I have not read that I should use the original DE sender, can someone confirm?

Any other things to check? There is no fuel leak, I know it is going through the engine.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
im having the same problem(330km/tank)...changed my thermostat but that didnt change anything...im not getting any codes, are you?

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
I don't have an answer, but I can tell you that i'm getting the same symptoms. my exhaust reaks of gas, but i'm not getting gas mileage that is *that* bad. i get about 300-ish miles per tank. usually a bit less, but that's the fault of my lead foot. :lol:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm also not getting any codes, which I should have mentioned above. I think I may swap the temp sender that was in the DE over to the ZE to see if I get any results.

Something has to be sending a signal to the ECU that is triggering it to run richer, as if it was still cold.

Are both of you still runing the stock ECU and the temp sender that came in the DE?

·
Registered
947 Posts
What about o2 sensors are they new

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are the same ones that were in the car prior to the ZE swap, and I'm getting no codes. I also had no codes before the swap and the fuel consumption seemed normal then. I guess I will do a careful fuel monitoring for a little while and see exactly how bad it is. Maybe change the CAI filter too, to make sure it is not limiting the air in, which would lead to enrichment.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
i got the same thing... except my car bogs down for a second when you give it some gas..... damn ze swap.. haha. runnign stock ecu but I will be putting in a eprom chip soon. I was going to get an adj, fuel pressure regulator so i guess i could tune the issue out.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Are you using anything to regulate fuel pressure, or just the stock regulator. If you've got an AFPR maybe you have too much pressure??

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just the stock FPR, with DE solenoid controling it, because I still have the stock ECU.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Michael A. said:
Just the stock FPR, with DE solenoid controling it, because I still have the stock ECU.
Sounds to me like the solenoid is hooked up wrong! No joke! Bypass the solenoid, all it does is cut vacuum to boost fuel pressure on hot starts.

It really sounds like the solenoid vacuum lines are probably backwards, causing no vacuum to reach the regulator, which keeps your fuel pressure sky high! :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
that's the problem....a FPR can give you the proper PSI at WOT (my AEM works great!) .... once you get one and an upgraded fuel pump.... that ZE will make u smile at about 5Kand beyond .... (no bog here!!)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. I'll switch the lines and see how that affects things. If no results, I'll bypass the solenoid altogether.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts