Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wtf?!?!

Its been sitting in the garage for 2 days now since its been nice outside and i'm just using my cycle everywhere. I open up teh door and notice my exhaust is hanging lower than usual. I pick up the muffler and sure enough the axle back just crumbles and shatters to the ground.............

I'm so pissed, i guess its better than driving down the road and having it fall off. Anyway besides a pace shitter is there any half decent exhaust for a 1g that i might turbo this summer. I'd say a cat-back as i'm sure a decent muffler will run me around 119 bucks. I'm gonna start caling though. At least it broke off where i can just unbolt the flange, could be worse i suppose. Still couldn't have happened at a worse time, 6.55 an hour, moving out of my house to my parents garage, and now i have repairs to my car..........uggg

On a positive note i accidentally noticed i was doing 70mph on my bike, pretty smooth for as fast as i was going by accident. And i stopped by the motorcycle shop and found my next toy. I dont' care what year, 2000 and up. Katana 600. Its big enough for me to be comfortable on and i think the 06 i was looking at was bueatiful.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
figures, rock auto is about 60-70 avg.

Which means autozone will charge out the ass. Maybe i'll just hit up the yard this weekend and see if i get lucky.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Thats the prob with mild steel exhausts.

I went to stainless steel, as mine was rusting from the inside out thanks to lots of short trips where the exhaust doesnt get hot enough to evaporate the water out.
We dont have a road salt issue here in Australia....

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
uh, no offense but i'm not paying 700 dollars for a cat back. Besides welding it myself are they any pre-bent setup's without teh muffler. I'd like to do like maybe a 2 or 2 1/2 cat back (i don't care if its mendrel bent really, crush is fine) with a magnaflow muffler. Seems like a nice cheap setup for a good sound and some mild performance.

Obviously a cat back sys isn't going to do shit for the LX but once i get that stupid engine built i'm sure it'll help a bit.

Also i'm on one hell of a budget. Lets try not to go over 300 dollars on this. And thats stretching it.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
how the hell do they have a ford probe from 86-91. I didn't even think they made it until 88?!

also whats better in the long-run. Stainless steel or aluminized. I'm guessing stainless steel cause i can't think of a lot of aluminized exhaust that i have actually seen. So far the magnaflow price isn't bad. I'm guessing i could track one down for around 100, take it to midas and let them weld the bastard in place of the oem one.

Maybe this wont' be so bad. I know my cat is shot as well, it rattles when it warms up sometimes. I don't know if Midas will remove it and just fit a pipe in place. I'm guessing not.

I also know a ton of you are against this practice but its indy so we don't do pollution checks, and sure it'll be warmer but i could just make a better heat sheild. Aside from that i dont' see much reason to put another on.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you lived closer id just give you mine! I bought the rockauto cat back for i think $40. I'm not even going to use it!

Edit: I have a factory 2" knocked out cat too! with flanges!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rock auto cat back? I just saw they had mufflers, i didn't notice they had a full exhaust system.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good god, you paid that much for a pace setter? Aren't they like notoriously raspy and made cheaply?

·
Registered
437 Posts

I bought this one

·
Registered
349 Posts
I took my ride to meineke and they were always cheap if you say your paying with cash. They have performance mufflers too.(Not the greatest but...)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if i were to order a magnaflow would midas weld everything up for or would they tell me i need to purchase one of their products.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts