Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tried changing my fob light bulbs but the 3 screws on the bottom are rusted real bad and I couldn't get them off. I sprayed WD-40 on them and tried again and ending up breaking my screwdriver. How can I get them off?

·
Registered
141 Posts
use some synthetic oil, thatill make it really good and soak well into that rust

·
Registered
344 Posts
Drill tiny holes in the plastic near the top of the screw, spray some WD-40 on them and that should losen it up, it worked for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is an unpleasant task for all 6's. Take the whole foglight out by releasing the two ten mm nuts holding the unit in. Cut the wire, force the whole unit out of the bodywork(gently, it dosn't quite fit but you can get there) and use a vise on them GD screws. Eurolite makes great bulbs.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
SIMPLE...

BUY A BETTER SCREW DRIVER!!!! NOT A CHEAP ONE. NOW...BUY A VICE GRIPS ALSO, USE THE VICE GRIPS TO REMOVE THE SCREWS. BEFORE OR AFTER YOU REMOVE THE ENTIRE FOG LIGHT. NOW WHEN YOU PUT IT BACK TOGETHER, GLOB SOME RTV SILICONE ON THE SCREWS TO KEEP THEM FROM RUSTING. THEN NEXT TIME ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS DIG OUT THE SILICONE AND REMOVE THE SCREWS. A VICE GRIPS IS ALL YOU NEED. IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THAT IS...THEN:sigh:

·
Registered
83 Posts
now see here
.JUST CAUSE HIS DRIVER BROKE AIN'T MEAN U GOTTA RIP ON HIM. SURE U GOT URS OUT REAL EASY THAT DON'T MEAN HE DON'T KNOW ABOUT THOSE MARVELOUS VICE GRIPS U LIKE TO PLAY WITH, HE JUST AIN'T TRIED. FOR THE RECORD I TRIED VICE GRIPS AND COULDN'T POP MINE, AND I'M A MECHANIC. and if you do it right you shouldn't need to do it again, so you can eat that silicone.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Don't go cutting any wires ... there is a wiring harness just above the foglight and to the outer side of the car for each side. Simply trace the wire and you'll find them easy enough.

Also, the 3 screws simply screw into a sheath that expands inside the hole to hold the bottom cover on. You can probably pry the cover off. Don't go nuts though if there's no give to it. I found that the best thing to replace the sheaths with are similar size plastic hollow wall anchors ... cut the length to fit and tap them in for a snug fit.

Hope that helps someone.

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
another thing to do is just get new fog lights. You can get a decent set of fog lights for pretty cheap now. It's a lot easier than replacing the bulbs.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Mavric03 said:
another thing to do is just get new fog lights. You can get a decent set of fog lights for pretty cheap now. It's a lot easier than replacing the bulbs.
This is the option I followed when I ran into the situation. Original fogs were rusted beyond relief and the sight of new foglights restored a fresh look to the front. (My originals were yellowed, dull, and scratched and/or cracked up anyhow.) I don't know where you get them cheap though - I paid a pretty penny for new original foglights from Mazda.

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
yeah...new ones from mazda are around $100 I believe. I got hit in the area, and the ost of the fog light was $105 from Mazda..luckily I wasn't paying for it. Recently, I just got some aftermarket lights that work better. It cost me about $30...then I got some clean headlights that weren't foggy or yellow, and they made a HUGE difference. They actually light up the road now. After seeing it, I don't know why some people complain about mx6 headlights..just clean them :tup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts