Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1991 Mazda RX7 Convertible

It's got the cleanest original bodie I have seen on any RX-7 in this part of the country and is fairly cheap. I think I can get it for close to half the asking price.

It's got a broken window a cracked wind screen and the top was cut open while in storage. The interior and much of the engine bay have been pulled apart so there are likely many small missing parts.

I would need to get a new MAF, fuel pump, wheels @ tires as well as stock replacements for the aftermarket wheel and knob inside.

It has black leather interior and besides a split in the D side seat and a collapsed bolster it is pretty nice.

Most of the trim pieces and lights come with it but need to be installed.

It pulls nice and strong in the mid range and top end though it bucks at low speeds and dies at stop signs.

No smoke and no misfires that I can hear. No rust and the body is straighter than my 6's.

Opinions? Advice? Experience? All would be apriciated.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
No more than $250. That thing looks like shit. You have no way of verifying if it runs or not even. I did love my old 'vert though, wish I hadn't gotten rid of it.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
that thing looks sketchy but if the frame is rust free i might be worth 300. I wouldn't go a penny higher though

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yeh, what the hell. If nothing else I would swap in an LS1 or any chevy small block for that matter.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No more than $250. That thing looks like [shizzle]. You have no way of verifying if it runs or not even. I did love my old 'vert though, wish I hadn't gotten rid of it.
He had wheels and his own MAF and fuel pump installed when I saw it and I got to drive it about 2 miles. It runs like described above and I would still need to get all the stuff he put on to get it started as he needs it for his own 7.

There was no smoke when I drove it but he said it smoked like a bitch when he first got it running. He whas very honest about every aspect of the car and told me about thing's I wouldnt have thought to have asked.

that thing looks sketchy but if the frame is rust free i might be worth 300. I wouldn't go a penny higher though
I wont go over $400 for sure unless he donates the parts to make it a driver.

The body has no sign of rust anywhere wich is incredible for a 7 in Nebraska.

The sheetmetal is very straight and the paint is original and other than a few scuffs is easily restorable without a respray.

It's the state of disassembly that wories me as well as the rotory reputation.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I'd probably pay no more then 300 for it. Im not one to lowball people but, it doesnt look spectacular in the pictrues. :)Pick it up, throw some coilovers on it, change out the pads rotors and fluids, LSD?? and u have your self a really fun car. FC is an awesome chassis.

·
Registered
819 Posts
There's alot of money to be put in that car and you for sure had better be a good mechanic so you can save as much money as possible but if you just have to have it don't pay more than 300 for it and stock up on alot of spare parts. Remember rotary motors use oil like crazy plus gas and of course blown appex seals which can be the end of your motor. Goodluck if you decide to buy it.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I decided my money is going to new struts for the 6 and a new apartment.

I'll mail the guy and let him know I considered it carefully and if it's still available a few months down the line I'll take another look at it.

For anyone not familiar with mid west weather a car in that condition as far as sheet metal goes is a real find. If you really wanted a 7 you might pay his asking price just for the body.

·
Registered
637 Posts

I'll mail the guy and let him know I considered it carefully and if it's still available a few months down the line I'll take another look at it.

For anyone not familiar with mid west weather a car in that condition as far as sheet metal goes is a real find. If you really wanted a 7 you might pay his asking price just for the body.
Yep, Midwest weather is hell on cars.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
have you had one before. if not I maybe be able to take a weekend off to help you out some time I think that I am only 3 or so hours away.

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts

Good choice. Looks nice, but given the economy you guys are enduring, not a wise idea to be tossing money on projects such as this.
:shrug:

I can see a anywhere from $1-2k++ invested to make this into a nice daily driver/ weekend warrior, and thats a fair bit of coin at this time. :(

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
no dont buy it, cause if u did, id hate you. forever.

feen
so thats why you don't talk to me anymore? ;)

how long had the motor been not running and when was the last time it was rebuilt? no smoke is a good sign that it might have been rebuilt recently or it might just be in good condition. The LSD's in the FC's aren't all that great because they usually don't lock up very well due to the fact that they are so old and most people don't take the time to take care of the diff so that might be something to think about later on. i plan on installing a welded one in mine since it will be my drifter once i get a daily going.

the shell itself looks clean, but piecing together the interior might be a pain since most often the parts you might be looking for are in similar condition to the parts you need since its such an old car.

if you have the time and patience it would be an awesome project car. i would recomend a TII swap. the only thing better than being topless is being topless and boosting :p. but if you happen to come across a few thousand dollars then you might consider an LS1 swap:angel:

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RWD = YES :)

You have my vote :)

Fred.
If it's still around when I recover finantialy I'll definitely look at it again.

have you had one before. if not I maybe be able to take a weekend off to help you out some time I think that I am only 3 or so hours away.
I'll keep that in mind cause I do intend to have one eventualy. This was actualy the first time I drove any RX7 :) It's very different from my 6 and I was suprised at how it drove. I did not expect the kind of torque it had being a rotory. It may have just been the state of tune and bad idle but the motor was fairly weak off idle and needed to be brought up before I could pull away. That much I expected but I did not expect the torque to pick up so sharply as I passed 2500. At that point it was a matter of keeping the car straight and the wheels planted.

no dont buy it, cause if u did, id hate you. forever.

feen
Well I allready hate you for destroying a perfectly good 240SX :p I almost bought an identical one but the rockers were all but gone. You couldnt even tell untill you got on your back either.

Good choice. Looks nice, but given the economy you guys are enduring, not a wise idea to be tossing money on projects such as this.
:shrug:

I can see a anywhere from $1-2k++ invested to make this into a nice daily driver/ weekend warrior, and thats a fair bit of coin at this time. :(
Gas prices atleast are sane again, for now ;) At $1.60 for E15 that's a world away from nearly $5.00 just a short time ago.

I was thinking real hard about selling the T/A as I really dont want to mess with the rockers on that thing. If Feen would just come down here and work her magic I'd be good :)

so thats why you don't talk to me anymore? ;)

how long had the motor been not running and when was the last time it was rebuilt? no smoke is a good sign that it might have been rebuilt recently or it might just be in good condition. The LSD's in the FC's aren't all that great because they usually don't lock up very well due to the fact that they are so old and most people don't take the time to take care of the diff so that might be something to think about later on. i plan on installing a welded one in mine since it will be my drifter once i get a daily going.

the shell itself looks clean, but piecing together the interior might be a pain since most often the parts you might be looking for are in similar condition to the parts you need since its such an old car.

if you have the time and patience it would be an awesome project car. i would recomend a TII swap. the only thing better than being topless is being topless and boosting :p. but if you happen to come across a few thousand dollars then you might consider an LS1 swap:angel:
I'm swapping the clutch LSD from the T/A for a torsen type unit from an LS1 car for that same reason. The original piece is twitchy and almost put me into a wall right after I bought it.

The good news is there are a lot of 2g 7's in the local upullit's but the bad news is there are no black leather cars there and the only conv is worse than that one. I'll proabably just recover the interior my self like I plan to do for the T/A as there are no parts out there in better shape than what I got.

Thanks all, for the comments and advice :)

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'm swapping the clutch LSD from the T/A for a torsen type unit from an LS1 car for that same reason. The original piece is twitchy and almost put me into a wall right after I bought it.
the first time i had my car on the track it was pretty obvious that viscous LSD was very unpredictable. a couple of times i acctually went off the course half way into a drift and i got to taste sunflowers and dirt lol

well anyways, i really hope you end up getting one. getting mine has been one of the best decisions i've made, its a fun car

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
FUCK YOU is six :p

that bitch side swiped me...that fucking stoopid broad...the car was in rough shape too tho, kind of explains why a bodymount ripped out of the floor

Sadrmmer04- nah i still luv ya, just really fucking busy ugh...

if you happen to buy her, show us some more pics....OH and btw, im looking for a 2nd gen RX7 too , until i have enough for her sister, thats when ill import a 95

feen

feen

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
^ You sure you want an RX7 with two kids? :freak: Sounds like a bad idea to me.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts