Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to installing the rx-7 turbo this past weekend. Let me tell you right now. If you've never done this before. It is a BITCH!!. I started saturday night, and didnt get finished until Monday 3:00 PM. Anyway, it's working now. However I seem to have sprung a coolant leak. So I gotta tear back into it soon.

Anyway. I like it so far. It feels totally different than the stock one. I'm only running 7psi right now, until I get my fuel pressure regulator. Then I'll crack it open and see what this baby can do! Anyway, for only 7psi it's very impressive. It doesnt feel as fast as the stock turbo @14psi, but it certainly dosent feel much slower, and is definitely faster than the stock turbo at 7psi. It feels totally different though. The turbo is quieter and it actually feels like you're driving a powerful N/A motor. From what I understand after 12psi is when the car gets it's true, pin you to the seat, turbo whistling, burn rubber in each gear personality back. Well, I'm happy. Exhausted and beat up. But happy. Until I have to go fix that goddamn coolant leak. :)

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Would like to hear more about this after you put some miles on the car. Will be going to the PA Dyno meet this summer so I should have a bit more info on how my car is doing.. ;)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Good luck dude. Hope everything works out for you.

Be careful about that coolant leak. You dont want the turbo to overheat!

G

·
i hope you took plenty of shots and documented it well.... there was a post on this on probe? anyone know the link for that post?

(i need more boost lol and the stock unit sucks! lol)

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately, I didnt take any pics. I lent my camera to a friend before I knew I was going to do this. But there's a good chance that I'll have to remove it from the car again to change the coolant lines, so I'll try and take some pics then.

·
Registered
93 Posts
So does the RX-7 turbo fit on the 6 manifold without any modifications - does it just bolt up like the stock unit?

·
Registered
666 Posts
I've done some research on this turbo, so I'll answer. It bolts up to the stock manifold. The only difference is the opening in the compressor housing is quite a bit bigger, so Charles provides a boot to go from the turbo to the intercooler piping.
I want this turbo so bad I can TASTE it, but, when I told my wife how much is cost, she just laughed and patted me on my head.
Don't get married if you like to spend money on your car.
<DEEP SIGH>
:(

·
Registered
666 Posts
Oh yeah, Anarchy, you shouldn't have to take off the turbo to replace the coolant lines, I've replaced all of mine with the turbo in the car, the downpipe gets in the way, but, it comes off pretty easily. I don't know if the lines are located a lot different with the new turbo than with the stock one, but, you should be able to replace them in about an hour with the turbo on the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts