Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, today i took my triumph out of storage and took her for a litle spin. i must say that after driving my mx6 all winter, my tr8 sure does feel downright mean. anyway, i was on rt.6 waiting at a light, and along side of me pulls a honda S2000, being driven by some yuppie kid(probably a honda dealers son). so he starts reving his shit, and im thinkin, "he has no idea". however, he does get the jump on me right away, of course this is because i launched my triumph like id launch my 6, and i just sat there spinning the wheels. finaly i just banged second and nby the time i hit third i had already gone by him. he was FAR behind by the time i hit 4th and i just shut her down. the kid wouldnt even look at me at the next light! ahhaa, god i love having an 11 second street car!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Woaaa... you beat S2000 ?! A 0-60mph 5.5sec car ?!
What you have under your hood ?

G

·
Oh, and a S2000 is a 5.5 sec car to 60 if you are basically a perfect driver. I've been told those cars are a b*tch to launch!! But it is still and sweet car and a sweet kill!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Nicely done that's the way to teach they some respect for a good car. They'll learn that the "H" doesn't guarantee a win!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Uh....

He's talking about his Triumph Motorcycle. Right Ztriumph? That Honda S2000 cannot hang! The kid should have known he can't mess with a bike!

·
Registered
459 Posts
A bike?? The TR8 he's refering to is a British car. If it were a bike he wouldn't have even been at the next light for the kid to have the opportunity to look at him.

Here ya go, the TR8

http://www.seanet.com/Users/clauded/tr8aa.jpg
I tried posting this as a pic but it just doesn't work?

[Edited by Rodeo1080 on 04-04-2001 at 10:42 AM]

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
ohhhhhh... My bad. The triumph I've always heard of was a bike. I'll have to look up that Tr8

·
Registered
25 Posts
Triumph Spitfire?

What year TR8?
Up here in Thunder Bay, Ontario - We have Triumph's everywhere. They are very sweet cars. I believe the kill because the S2000 may have over 230 horses but they have like 190 ft. lb of torque at like 8000 RPM.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
allright boys, i have a 1980 tr8, which comes stock with a 3.5 liter all aluminum rover v-8, pushing 137 hp and 172 lbs of torque. in stock form this car runs high 15's....however, mine is far from stock. i'm running 11.5:1 compression, stage 2 oversized valves, crane cam, major headwork, daul plane intake, mallory ignition, holley 600 4 barrell carb, the engine has been balanced and blueprinted, custom dipped headers with a custom straight pipes exhaust.(also the engine was punched out to a 3.9 liter) i have koni adjustable shocks all the way around with polyurethane bushings, bigger sway bars, custom rollover bar, i also have a ford 8.8 rearend with 3.55 gears, plus many other small mods to the engine. the result is a 11.89 1/4 mile time....i know, its barely high 11's, but i did break that 12 second barier none the less!!! hopefully now you guys understand why a S2000 which runs 14 flat is somewhat of a joke to my baby. i tel you what though, if i had purchased my 6 a few years earlier, i def would've poured all my money into it. man, those 6's are sweeeeeeet!

·
Registered
459 Posts
That is one sick TR8!!! Damn that sounds like a nice ride! HOpefully my 6 will be able to come close to that someday. Nicely done!! You should post a pic or two of your car.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have a digital camera and pics of the sucker, but i have no idea how to post them!!!! its making me crazy cuz someone else asked me to post them and i just couldnt do it! any help would be apreciated.

·
Registered
459 Posts
If you creat a Yahoo account you can put your pictures in there and then link to them on here. That's what I've done while I'm fixing up my web page

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jiffy, as soon as i find that damn disk, ill email the pics to you.....the car is a triumph, the model is tr8, dont feel too bad about not knowing about them, as there were only about 2,500 tr8's made. i know that rover supplied the engines, and they use lucas electronics(they say lucas invented darkness...little joke about their reliability) and i believe the main corporation was british leyland. now, wish me luck on finding that damn disk!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Good kill! AutoWeek pulled off a 5.7 sec 0-60 run in an S2000, but the commented that to get such a run, their tester had to drop the clutch somewhere north of 5000 rpm. SImply put, the S2000's power is in the upper reaches of the rev range, as with Honda's other VTEC cars. I wouldn't mind driving an S2000, but it's not well-adapted to stoplight races at all.

Random bit of information: the Rover V8 used in the Triumph is a direct descendant of the 215 cubic inch aluminum turbo V8 GM used in the 1961 Oldsmobile Starfire :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
The S2000 is a tough car to get the best times out of. You basically have to want to try and kill the car to do it. Not that it will be distroyed, after all it is a Honda and probably will last forever.

But the 230HP is at something like 9000 RPMs and the 190 torque is at something like 8500 RPMs.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
allrigfht, now it makes sense, it sounded like he had the f-ing thing pinned when he dropped the clutch. it was buzzing like a goodammn hive of bees!! he didnt get too much wheelspin though....jiffy, bear with me, still trying to find that damn disk!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Ok Ztriumph, I'm patient. No rush. I need to look it up, but I can't seem to get off of MX6.com LOL.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts