Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the local pick your parts junk yard and I came across a later model Saab 9000 turbo with 200,000 miles on it. I bought it since it was only $25 and there is no shaft play. I'm just wondering if I have any use for this. I know that this won't bolt up, but can I use it if I have a custom manifold made? Or can I use the internals and put it in the RHB5 housing? It's in really good shape and I'd hate to leave it sitting.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Well it cant hurt to have turbos just laying around the house can it? Your bet would be to ship an email off to one of the reputable turbo rebuild companies and give them the exact part number of that turbo. Hopefully they'll have the dimensions of it and can tell you if any parts could be made to fit. Is it any bigger than the stocker though?

G

·
That turbo is a .43 trim T3

A little bigger than the stocker, not much. Rebel2k4 put one on his car...Many motors ago :D

·
Registered
737 Posts
A member here came across a beautiful Garret T3 turbo off from a saab, just the other day from a local junkie. Man that turbo is beautiful. The turbo had no shaft play, and still had the markings on the compressor fins, I think it was almost brand new. You could make it fit in our cars, just need to make an adaptor flange, the IC piping, and exhaust would need to be modified.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so do you advise that i put it on? i want to upgrade the turbo but not if it's almost the same size of the stock turbo

·
Registered
737 Posts
I would do like Dyoel182 said and check out the specs first. Find out the cfm and everything you need to do a fair comparison. If it's the same Garret turbo that I saw, then I would look deep into it, because that thing is a monster next to our stock turbo. I had one that I had just pulled and the one that the other member pulled and my turbo looked like the Garret's little sister. But the specs tell it all, I would look into that if I was you. And if it's something that you decide not to do, let me know. Maybe i'll buy it from ya.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Garrett T3 turbos are good little turbos. They have really good aftermarket support. Also if the turbo was in that good of shape, how did the intercooler look? Those are worth pulling out and reselling if they are in good shape. It is the IC of choice for many project cars.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Turbo has no shaft play; it's in perfect shape. There's a intercooler on the Saab 9000? I didn't really take that close of a look for a intercooler. There was like a nice 2" metal piping I saw but I decided to pull them later since after I took the turbo out (2 hours) and I was inpatient.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gordmc said:
Garrett T3 turbos are good little turbos. They have really good aftermarket support. Also if the turbo was in that good of shape, how did the intercooler look? Those are worth pulling out and reselling if they are in good shape. It is the IC of choice for many project cars.
I went to the junk yard yesterday and took a look at the intercooler and wow! That's a huge IC compared to our stock IC! I didn't have time to pull it yesterday, but I plan on going back there next week to pull it out. $50 for the intercooler and piping. The piping is approx. 2" in diameter. Is there any use in the IC piping? The piping is really long and I'd hate it to go to waste.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rebel2k4 said:
Yup, I swapped that same turbo into my car. Unfortunately you will have a tough time getting it tuned right and if you're not very careful you'll go through a few motors like I have.
http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48568
What are the major things that I need to be cautious about? Bigger injectors, bigger IC hard piping, chip, and 3" exhaust are all on my to do list during my turbo installation. I'm sure I'll be posting a lot of questions and you may get a few PM's in the future.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Ummm, dont use that intercooler. I used to have a pic of how it DOES NOT fit, but I lost it. It is also a very poor intercooler. I highly doubt it would be much of an improvement over stock.

Anyways, as far as the piping is concerned, I used the upper pipe on my car. Fit decent. I have a chip, fuel pump, 5th and 6th injectors, and I'm still running lean down low. I have blown 2 motors due to lean tuning on this turbo, and one due to too much boost (blew a head gasket)

Here's a somewhat recent pic of half of my engine bay

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm, it's a shame that I won't be able to use that intercooler. I'll pass on installing the turbo on my car, maybe I'll give it to a friend or sell it. As for the pic of your engine bay, C-L-E-A-N! I see the Saab IC piping (TB to IC). Looks nice, did you have to cut it to fit?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts