Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have pics of their Satellite Radio install [including antennae] they'd be willing to share? This weekend I'm attempting to route the wires around the back window and thru the trunk lid gap. Comments?

Thanks - Rich.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
i dont have any pictures but i took the same route as you.

the wire is thing and easy to keep underneat the dash until you get to the side of the car so you can go under the door sills and carpet.. which is all easy enough to do

i just kept mine sitting on the trunk and whenever i washed my car i threw the antenna inside.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pnut500000 said:
i dont have any pictures but i took the same route as you.

the wire is thing and easy to keep underneat the dash until you get to the side of the car so you can go under the door sills and carpet.. which is all easy enough to do

i just kept mine sitting on the trunk and whenever i washed my car i threw the antenna inside.
Thanks for the reply. Any 1G owners familiar w/getting around the trim pieces on the back window?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I got mine installed @ Best Buy for ~$60. They were already installing a CD player for me (free) so I paid to have the Sirius installed.

This is THE 1ST time I've EVER let anyone install ANY kind of stereo equipment in any of my cars! I'm always short of time, and I must say, it was worth the $60.00, it really was.

He mounted the Starmate receiver just below the CD player bolting to that little "blank spot" if you have a stereo install kit. I still have the tray below.

I'm not sure how he routed the wiring for the antenna, but I'm sure under the driver's side door molding. It is routed up under the trunk lid, then up on top of the trunk lid, it even has protective sleeve around it, VERY professional.

for me, it was worth the $60....but when I transfer it to the other MX6, I think I'll do it all myself.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jiffy6969 said:
It is routed up under the trunk lid, then up on top of the trunk lid, it even has protective sleeve around it, VERY professional.
First off, thanks for the input. So your antennae sits on top of the trunk lid and not the roof? That would solve my issue of pulling off the trim around the back window to hide the wire.

Thanks -

·
Registered
811 Posts
I've always had a fear of haters, so I opted out of keeping the antenna on the trunk lid. I placed it, with double sided tape, in the rear window. I placed it in the corner, under the C pillar, so it has a cleaner look. Reception is fine, although some say it hinders reception.
I could be overly paranoid, but I just have a fear of someone walking up to my trunk and pulling on the antenna.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
linoleum said:
First off, thanks for the input. So your antennae sits on top of the trunk lid and not the roof? That would solve my issue of pulling off the trim around the back window to hide the wire.

Thanks -
You'll get your best reception with it being on the roof 6" away from any glass. The trunk is probably your next best bet. Unlike zythum24, i wouldn't put it under anything, even glass. I mean, if it works for him, then good! im sure it probably looks MUCH cleaner than having the thing on your lid/roof. But the antennas aren't made to be put under anything. they are made to be in perfectly clear/clean sight of the sky.

Which unit are you putting in? If its XM, the satellites are to your south, and Sirius, they're to your east [IIRC].

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EmX6eR said:
Which unit are you putting in? If its XM, the satellites are to your south, and Sirius, they're to your east [IIRC].
I am putting in a Sirius radio. I get decent reception at my house, w/the antennae in a southern facing window. [ideal is suppose to be Northeast]

I'll probably try the trunklid as the easy solution. If the reception is poor, I suppose I'll have to rethink the roof placement.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
linoleum said:
I am putting in a Sirius radio. I get decent reception at my house, w/the antennae in a southern facing window. [ideal is suppose to be Northeast]

I'll probably try the trunklid as the easy solution. If the reception is poor, I suppose I'll have to rethink the roof placement.

Thanks guys.
I pretty much NEVER loose signal...even under lots of overpasses.

....but pulling into a gas station...below the "shelter", if I pull too far underneath...then I lose it....and I think it would be worse if I had the antenna on the roof...near the trunk it is closer to the rear of the car--which is usually closer to the signal when pulling under a roof at a gas station.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts

here you can see the location of the xm antenna and the xm receiver in my car. the great thing about the location for the receiver is that i ran the wires right into the gap between the dash bezel and the steering column so that you can barely see the wires. very clean.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
zythum24 said:
Trent, are you using the suction or did you do some drilling?
I know you were asking Trent....but his looks EXACTLY like mine.....Mine is Magnetic...if you're referring to the antenna.

The only thing that is "attached"....is the wiring under the trunklid.

For someone to remove/steal it, they'd have to cut the wire...don't know what they could do with the end of the antenna though...lol.

They'd only mess with it for vandalizing purposes. it doesn't even attact attention.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Trent said:
trent, did katrina blow away your rear rims?

also, your icon... that was exactly what i said when i saw the rx7 bow to it the first time i ever saw the commercial. in fact, i got pretty upset. make a civic bow to it, not a car that could rape the tits off it.

I have the same xm antenna you do. on my mx6, i actually had it at the front of the car, on the front of the middle of the roof, mostly becuase i was too damn lazy to run it to the back, and i knew it would be back on the MR2 in a few days anyway. [yes, i swap out my stereo equipment from car to car like underwear]. on my mr2, i have the antenna on the rear trunk lid. I would have put it on the roof, but the rear window moulding is shaved to the car. and hell, its not like i dont have a big enough area right there. i might have a pic somewhere.......

i dont have pics of the actual install. my unit is under my dash and is a direct connect unit to my alpine headunit. so its REALLLLLLY clean :)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Brad....why don't you buy a 2nd antenna? As far as I know, you can have as many antennas as you want....but just one reciever....it would be 10X easier on you if you just moved the receiver each time...LOL.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts