Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found this one destined for a scrap yard..due to a blown motor I just couldnt let that happen, no matter how much I dont need another car.:jump:

Im not sure whats wrong with the motor yet, the owner said he thinks it spun a rod bearing. When you try to crank it over it cranks extremtly slow and hard like its seized up..and has a nice whistle sound..I figure I can make a KL offee table out of that block so it will be interesting to see what type of damage it has.

This is probaly the easiest one I have worked on to date.. everything came off easily.. even the hub to strut bolts, the CV axles pushed out of the hubs by hand... I was amazed, and had the motor out in less then 2hrs.

Not planning anything special for this one, most likely just a stock Daily.. hopefully I can put it in the hands of someone in need of a car thats not bad on gas

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Very nice

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Ill be lookin for an mx6 possibly in a month. Im just down in Iowa so not to far away. Hit me up with some details cause I may be interested!

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New motor in and all put together.. All that's left now is top off the fluids, charge the battery, put the hood back on and it should be good to go..

That looks really clean. what did you give for it?
A few hundred more then it would have been scrapped for. I figure all said and done I will have a grand stuck into it... not including the motor/spare parts I already had for it.

King, nice save. I am thinking you have lots of time on your hands to fly up and help me do a mtx swap :p
Very little time actually.. I been doing this after a 10-12hr work day.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Good save :tup:

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
As of yesterday.. washed, compounded with turbo cut, then with finish cut, washed again, then wax'd. I got a tint kit to put on it yet.. and I found out the drivers wheel bearing is out.. Other than that, DONE. Oh and a random no start issue.. Its ran perfect since I put the motor in, this morning I go to drive it to work and it wont start..just cranks. I Come back from work 8hrs later and it fires up like nothing ever happend wtf..kinda hard to diagnosis that.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I thought at first.. It happened to me again this morning. So I came back later and tried again.. and nothing. I swapped in the CLT from the original motor and it fired right up. I don't recall there being differences in the CLT's for 93-94's and 95+'s, but if that cures it :tup:

·
Registered
717 Posts
I may be slipping, but what's a CLT?
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

Nice save King; I've been hoping that an MX-6 like this one will pop up in the classifieds where I live.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Coolant temp sensor. The 94 probe had 3 of them on its water neck (one green plastic head, the other black plastic head, the other is temp gauge), the 95 had 2. (one tan plastic head, the other temp gauge). It seems to run better after swapping it, and this morning..fired right up. Its fun driving a Mx6 again!

·
Premium Member
6,941 Posts
Very nice Darren, I'm always glad to see an MX-6 saved, and it looks like you got yourself a nice clean one. All the ones around here are such crap.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks!

I got the seat all fixed up. Just to show its possible, I bought passenger seat skins from a member here, and put them on the driver side seat.. about 1.5hrs later I had a good seat again.

There were some differences, but nothing serious.. had to drill some holes for hog clips under the front, otherwise it all was the same. Also the area for the quick release is left open..

My fix for the quick release hole, I used the back off the passenger seat, cut the partical board to shape, and stapled the vyinl to it. I was going to come up with a cleaner look for mounting it, but I ran out of patience and used a stainless screw.

End result is you would probably pay big $ for a driver seat in this condition, the old one was tore up bad. The tools needed are a Hogclip pliers, about 2 dozen hog clips, a side cutter and a screw driver. :tup:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
A stock MX6 still looks great, even today 20 years later. Just needs to be shined up,
and new tires, and you can put it against any Lexus, even the coupe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts