Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, have just been told by a lad i know that my mx6 wouldnt stand a chance against his 95 scooby 2.0 turbo, i was a bit unsure thought id ask u lot wat the odds were?

mines a ze with cai, headers, full stainless and decat running on super u/ld fuel

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I've raced a few and its not pretty.

Basically you will have to drive the doorhandles off the 6 to get close. You will have a chance from a ton upwards but if its round a track or a b-road blat you'll proberby be pushing way too hard til the brakes are cooked.

The only way to beat one is with boost or nos, then you will leave one for dead from 30mph onwards.

Your ZE is likely to be producing 210-220bhp max depending on engine wear and setup whereas he's likely to have 220+, has 4wd and is possibly lighter.

Scoobys may be common as custard but theyre still quick and have the sporting pedigree to prove it.

A lot of it is down to the driver of course but I wouldnt be putting up my V5 in a "fast n Furious" stylee when racing one!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i always thought it would be close to be honest, i mite av a go and keep u informed lol. i doubt il be successful.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
one thing i did learn a few weeks ago is to not attempt to keep up with a pulsar gtir, they are a nissan sunny with stupid bhp lol

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Hey Guys,

In the apperance stakes, the Scooby does not compare and as you say they are dead common.

Worst of all, they are often driven by poseurs and tear around supermarket car parks trying to gain attention...........Pathetic idiots.

Also cannot stand the noise of the engine.........Sounds awful IMHO.

I love the smooth V6 of our cars ......Zoom.......Zoom........ZOOM :cool:

But as a serious rally and road car, Scoobies are awesome !!!

Paula

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have had a nissan pulsar gtir nice and quick but break gearboxes easily if you use the power all the time...also not to stable at higher speeds over 100mph.

·
Registered
859 Posts
i think the scooby is an awesome car, for a saloon. True, the 6 looks btter, but it aint faster, and never will be, but to be fair-different class of car. if its a fair race, it should be "like for like" i.e. you have turbo, they have turbo in a similar spec vehicle, otherwise its a pointless boyracer race. I adore the scooby soundtrak, that meaty rumble is brill, but i suspect it grates after a while, i love the nice smooth rumble i get from mine when i want it...!! If I could trust the car wasnt thrashed, i would have a subaru turbo, BUT NOT INSTEAD OF MY 6.no sir.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well im going to a track day with about ten people soon after xmas so il try and get sum vids of how we all get on etc, and we will have a little go against mr impreza lol!!

·
Registered
988 Posts
To be honest the MX-6 isn't the fastest car in the world, it's not the best handling car in the world, and it's probably not the best looking car in the world, but it does everything that you want in a car so well that you just don't care because it's such a joy to drive.

Something like a scooby will be very very quick, but being really quick is the only thing that the subaru's have going for them.

·
Banned
1,507 Posts
The big problem with the 6 IMHO is the power to weight ratio. It's simply too heavy.

The man to ask on this is Piers. He races a ZE powered 6 in Ireland regularly and he has tricked it out to perform at its best.

A standard 6 will not stand a chance against most cars with a turbo - do a few basic mods and you can give them some trouble round corners though. The straight line speed of an MX-6 has always been its weakness, simply due to a lack of power and also the ability to put it onto the blacktop - wheelspin being a common occurence due to the high torque of the engine and the FrWD design.

Don't go to the track day expecting to win anything, rather, go to it and show everyone how tight and controllable the car is. That way you will get the underdog kudos.

Finally - a tip for the track. Don't torque steer it around corners - looks great, but doesn't give you the exit you need. As it's a relatively long front wheel drive car, it's still a little tail happy. Up to the apex of corners let off the throttle, and then accelerate out as if it's a rear wheel drive car. You'll see what I mean when you do it.

Good luck mate! Have fun and fly the flag proudly.

Ben.

·
Registered
988 Posts
with all due respect, I don't think that the MX-6 is too heavy. If you believe Parkers then it is actually lighter than an MR2 which isn't bad when you consider that its a bigger car. I agree that making it lighter does produce some astounding results but I don't think that they could have reasonabky stripped out much more weight during the manufacturing process.

I agree that it could use more power, I don't know why they didn't put the KLZE in all mx-6's. I imagine they only gave the J-Specs a KLZE to make up for the added weight of the 4WS system.

·
Banned
1,507 Posts
You're not wrong Noddy - but when you look at the power to weight - theres the issue right there. So in essence the car itself isn't necessarily too heavy, but with the engine it has it is.

I think they should've just made it a turbo - not too hard to do really and still relatively easy to work with.

Ben.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
At the time of production the power from most v6 coupes was below 200bhp.

Corrado VR6 and Calibra V6 produced 190bhp or less and the Rover 220 and Calibra Turbos were 200-205bhp.

The KLZE does give agood value for its size for a n/a engine + reliability and the only thing that the DE and ZE suffer from IMO is the limited tuning potential of the engine.

You have to remember that this car is a GT and not designed to be an out and out performance car, just a good all rounder.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I reckon that the mx6 is really quite fast enough in an increasingly speed limited world.

Let's enjoy all our cars while we can.

It's a lovely engine to drive behind and as Paul (windy_mx6) says it is a GT rather than an out and out sports car.

Also relatively understressed big engines last for ages providing they are maintained properly.

Nite

Paula

I think maybe bolting a turbo onto the engine would have pushed the production value even higher, I seem to remember hearing that the mx-6 already cost quite a lot at launch as it was. Maybe if mazda had bored it out to a 3.0 V6 it would have been stronger in a straight line.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
i think i can also comment here since i owned and still own a scooby

i actually miss the 6 a lot.
the way it drove and handled. the driving position
heck even the interior is better (than the pre 08 scooby)

the 95 turbo scooby against a ze will end up with the scooby FAR FAR FAR ahead.(unless the driver does'nt know where the throttle is!!)
the 95 scooby is seriously light(low1200KG) but then i donno how light is the 6
but then most 2.0 turbos with a simple remap or boostcontroller will be around 260 hp at least so u wont stand a chance

but if ur a boosted 6...then its a different game
but then the scooby is not a drag racing car...4wd just slows it down after the launch...

on the track watch some of piers;s vids i think he was following an evo

the 6 is a VERY capable car i wish i still had mine here:(

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Is has been said that the internals of the KL series engine are good for about 300bhp.. any more than that, and you will need stronger parts...

I know of one 2.5KL which is seriously modified, and has 850bhp

The only problem would be to get that power down to the tarmac, so it would have to be a 4WD conversion.. and I wouldn't like to guess on the total cost for such a project.

It may look like a 6, but it would certainly only see scoobies in the rear view mirror. or anything else for that matter..

John

1 - 20 of 20 Posts