Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I recently had a new crankshaft pulley fitted. A lightweight alloy one. The belt trough on it was slightly slimmer than the standard one, so slimmer belts were fitted.

Also recently, the power steering pump was swapped over and checked out.

I now have a problem that when the car is cold and on full lock (usually) the belts screech like a crazy bitch. I'm a little confused as to why this would happen. I have my theories, but I'd like a little consensus before I go anywhere with this.

Cheers in advance.

Ben.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Both full locks?
Some how has to be the pump being restricted when the wheels are turned. Can only think to whip the belt off, lift the front end and spin the pump with your hand (not easy) while turning the steering (might need two people!) to see if you can feel any restriction. Dosen't solve it but you know where to start looking.
Is the new pump off a car of the same year?

Mark

·
Registered
83 Posts
Could this be caused by extra torque required by the power steering pump when its at full lock and pushing against the immovable stops? Maybe your belt can handle the pressure of normal steering but at full lock it cant, so slips?

Im no mechanic though so dont quote me on this, but I guess you could check this out by turning it full-lock and seeing if the belt is still going round but the power steering pump has locked up. If it is the case, Id suggest more tension or more friction (ooer).

hope this helps,
Al.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts